Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
I kinda forgot "graphics" seem to be synonymous with websites these days. No, I'm not a web guy. I know absolutely 0 about programming anything. I'm strictly on the visual end.

Again, if someone wanted me for this and wanted to train as I went, totally willing. I've been able to muck around in HTML and look things up as I needed to get my own website up, but building something from the ground up in HTML, CSS, Java, etc., is beyond me right now.
you cant make a webpage? do you have a portfolio?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

I think, at this point, nothing is 'below' you, and how insulting for the people that do the things you've listed that you're not willing to do??

The fact is, you're unemployed, and you're running out of money. There are career-people that were making tonnes of money before the economy crashed, who are now glad to HAVE jobs in fields, not particularly their own.

The baseline: You're not too good for any type of work, and your college degree hasn't really helped you so far, so it sounds like you have no more of a foot in the door than anyone else. As for Jeff's answers, it's understandable to pick a field to major in that you enjoy, but you MUST have known that it was insanely competitive, and frankly, only the best really make it in graphics. So basically, it WAS kinda stupid. Maybe not stupid, but you really can't complain now.

Last edited by Draconis; 08-13-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Have you ever seen the movie Pretty Woman? It's about a prostitute, Richard Gere, who goes out with a pretty woman, Julia Roberts. Would you like to get paid to have sex with women similar to Julia Roberts?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Start going to the gym. It will up your confidence and also help your ability to set and reach goals. Both of these will be very helpful when you go in for interviews. Plus you can meet new contacts in the gym if you go in the same time everyday.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Have you ever seen the movie Pretty Woman? It's about a prostitute, Richard Gere, who goes out with a pretty woman, Julia Roberts. Would you like to get paid to have sex with women similar to Julia Roberts?
FotC!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
FotC!
good job ma'am

Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Apply for office positions outside your field. It took all of 10 minutes on Craigs List for me to have an interview set up and now I have a cushy desk job that I am way unqualified for.

Stress your skills more than your education in your resume. An associates degree is pretty much worthless, so try to hide that near the bottom. I recommend making a list of all the computer systems and software you have ever touched...doesn't matter if you are an expert at it. Once you get in everyone forgets what you do and don't know. My co-workers were in shock and awe that I knew how to edit a PowerPoint slide show yesterday...

Going to the moon was just a well-funded episode of Jackass - Spooky
Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
Apply for office positions outside your field. It took all of 10 minutes on Craigs List for me to have an interview set up and now I have a cushy desk job that I am way unqualified for.

Stress your skills more than your education in your resume. An associates degree is pretty much worthless, so try to hide that near the bottom. I recommend making a list of all the computer systems and software you have ever touched...doesn't matter if you are an expert at it. Once you get in everyone forgets what you do and don't know. My co-workers were in shock and awe that I knew how to edit a PowerPoint slide show yesterday...
That seems a bit far-fetched. I'm terrified of applying for such positions because I am nervous I will be called on it. For example, I did a CCNA specialization class that took about a year some years ago; unfortunately, I never got the actual certificate. It may look good on a resume, but I have been debating on whether or not to remove it since my experience with its material is becoming faded.

The last job interview I had was for a technical position at a medical lab. I had expected them to drill me on various technical questions (i.e. "draw a subnet diagram," "explain the difference between a WAN and LAN," etc.) but I ended up being interviewed by the entire department (10 people) at once, my attention being fixed on a different person with each question. Furthermore, they had dropped complex questions on me (once again, not unexpected, just surprising given the nature of the questions), from the simplest (what are the colors of the wires in order of a RJ45 ethernet jack) to the explanation of each layer of the OSI model (I managed to get 4 out of 7, which the lead interviewer told me is surprising since most don't get 1). Needless to say, it was nerve-racking as hell. I felt like I was on trial for murder.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
That seems a bit far-fetched. I'm terrified of applying for such positions because I am nervous I will be called on it.
And you lost what? Opportunity? Shit, that's what you gained
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

If only you could find a craigslist ad for "Over-Confident, Unwilling, condescending douche" you'd be a shoo in. Get a job, then focus on moving up. Living with your parents isn't better than having a job, no matter what the job is, and if you think it is then you're lazy. Period.