Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The one emotional chord it still hits with me is when I think of the firemen and police who entered the broken and burning towers that day. Because even in a city reknowned for its selfishness and belligerance, it was their instinct and their duty to help other people. Whether they had any idea of the potential final outcome doesn't matter so much, but the people who choose to put themselves in harm's way so that they can remove other people from harm's way are my favourite type of people. They're the ones I salute on 9/11.
I was obsessed (to a point) watching coverage of 9/11 and still watch the documentaries and such on the anniversaries. I recall seeing many of the firemen interviewed saying that they all knew that this was different and that they went into the buildings knowing they would probably not come back out. But you are right, whether they knew or not they still went in to save others and do their jobs. No whining, no second thoughts. As the later trucks arrived some even had to carry their gear for blocks before even reaching the towers.

Seeing someone on the local news who risked their own life rescuing a stranger in an emergency is heart-warming. Seeing it hundreds of times within a single event is life changing. I have often though about why 9/11 resonates with some people more than others and I think this is why. The lost of life is, of course, devastating, but the sacrifices made by but the firemen/policemen and civilians who also saved others will always be a key part of 9/11 in my mind.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was 18 when it happened and in the middle of one of my classes the second week of college. I remember my professor answering her cell phone and basically just falling into a big lump of crying on the floor without really telling us what was going on. We looked it up and I remembered my Dad was on a flight out of BWI that day and I freaked. Turned out he hadn't even reached the airport yet, but for a while I couldn't get a hold of him and it was terrifying. That's what I remember most. As far as how I feel about it, I think I'm more disappointed in our reaction to it than anything else. Especially given the last year or, hell, even the last few months, we're just bigger assholes as a culture than anything. Its sad, but 9/11 is now mainly the anniversary of the day rednecks took over my country to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
As far as how I feel about it, I think I'm more disappointed in our reaction to it than anything else. Especially given the last year or, hell, even the last few months, we're just bigger assholes as a culture than anything. Its sad, but 9/11 is now mainly the anniversary of the day rednecks took over my country to me.
I cannot argue with that.