Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Am I being scammed? Please help

I am so excited about this, but the whole thing seems way too sketchy. It is $500 for a macbook pro. 15" 2.2 GHz core 2. please read our emails and let me know what you guys think. Note the time between when I asked him how to buy it, and the long email he wrote me back about 1 min later explaining how. seems sketchy. but I want it so bad. haha

Him-Let me tell you a few things about it: I am the original owner and I bought it a few months ago, along with warranty and receipt. It's in perfect condition, no scratches, dings or laid down. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problem. I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away. I guess you could be the owner of it if everything turns out all right and you are serious about buying it.

me- I am very serious about this. It's only a few months old? When would be a good time and place to try it/ buy it?

him- Currently i`m out of town, I am in London - England. I have decided to sell it because as you already know we are dealing with a crisis and i need more money fast and this is the reason because i sell it with such a low price. We’ve tried to develop a family business but unfortunately the things didn’t work the way we’ve expected and now I am at one step from losing my market. I appreciate your interest of my unit. We need a safe way to complete this deal because it is here with me and I will come back in March. I don't have who to ship it there, I had all my family moved here. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, if you move fast as well. I think this is the best and safest way for the two of us. You will be able to check it before I receive the payment. There's a return policy so you will have the chance to test and inspect it before final decision. This is a 100% safe method. If you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location. It usually takes 4 - 5 days till the unit arrives to your door. I can assure you that you will be satisfied! If you are interested in it mail me back and we will discuss about delivery and I am sure that we will find a good way to conduct this deal.

me-So if I like it, I keep it and pay you $500? If I dont want it, I just send it back?

him- We would use an escrow company. Read more at: Welcome to TNT's global portal
I will send the product to you, you send the money to TNT express.
If you don't like the product you will receive your money back.
If you are agree with the product the escrow company will give me the money

Then I told him it seems like a scam, and he said its no scam. TNT is one of the largest escrow companies in the world.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

All that explanation he gave you about the family business, etc. seems scam-y.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

and for being "the biggest escrow company in the world" its a pretty shitty website. It could just be something he made himself. has anyone else heard of TNT?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Only in the context of tv and ACDC
Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

And English isn't his first language, right? Poor grammar raises red flags.

"It's in perfect condition, no scratches, dings or laid down." Laid down? What does that mean?

"I guess you could be the owner of it if everything turns out all right and you are serious about buying it." I guess you could be the owner of it? What is this, some kind of contest?

"...because as you already know we are dealing with a crisis and i need more money fast..." You know WE (who is we?) are dealing with a crisis?

"...and this is the reason because i sell it with such a low price." How about, "...this is the reason WHY I'm selling it so cheaply."

"If you will take this price..." Very sketchy language.

Doesn't seem legitimate to me.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sad oh. and his name is Hans Peterson. Google that and see what you get! Should have been my first sign!! :S
This is the first search result that comes up

AMW | Fugitives | Hans Peterson | Brief
Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Definately a scam. Along with everyone else is saying, he pushes too hard and too fast. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. If you want to have some fun you can tell him different ways youll send the money and to different locations. Each time make new excuses as to why you couldnt do it. People like this will jump through hoops for months if they think theyve got you on the hook.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Google "TNT escrow" and check out the first few links. Apparently TNT is a legitimate business, but not an escrow service.

Quote:
I have called TNT myself and they conferm that these people are scammers and that they are simply a shipping company and are NOT allowed to ship or transfer money.
Quote:
TNT is aware that attempts have been made to mislead internet shoppers by the fraudulent use of the TNT name and brand, in addition to false e-mails concerning methods of advanced fee fraud, "competition" or "lottery" winnings, all of which appear to originate from, refer to and/or include the TNT name and brand.

The fraudulent communications typically concern an unknown third-party request for advance wire transfer of money to pay for goods ordered on the internet, before the goods will be allegedly shipped by TNT, or by requesting advance payment before the release of competition or "lottery winnings" can be completed.

We advise all customers to beware of such requests for advance on-line payments, and that the existence of a consignment number (or tracking number) is not necessarily proof that a consignment is in the custody or control of TNT.

If you are in any doubt as to the authenticity of any TNT communication or whether TNT is in fact delivering a shipment intended for you, please contact us through the details listed on your country TNT website.

Thank you
Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a friend in Nigeria that has a really good proposition for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

obvious scam is obvious.