Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal
Yeah, I needed a change. Rogue kicks ass. Rogue from the actual comics though....the movie Rogue is a damned pussy. Where is her super-strength? Why can't she fly? These are things that bother geeks like me!

Oh, and someone needs to inform me. I keep seeing "Emo" referred to all the time but I'm not sure what it is. It has something to do with music, but that's all I've got. Is it really big right now?
people use it to describe all the sad, dark, angry teens running. i hate the term, but people throw it in as a music genre and a style. that hair-over-face (especially asymmetrical cuts) is "emo."
music that is overwhelmingly depressing=emo.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjita
"Emo is a broad title that covers a lot of different styles of emotionally-charged punk rock."

As for Rogue, apparently somewhere along the way, she absorbed someone's power that didn't go away completely and left her able to fly and have super strength. The movies have her young, so I assume that it's before that absorption.

See what I get when I have free time at work? Wiki-surfing.

Ah, and all emo boys have the same anime-looking scruffy hairdo? Is that the connection?

I did like how the movie showed Rogue getting the white streak in her hair. I think they basically merged her storyline with Jubilee's storyline. Jubilee is the teen who bonds with Wolverine and has to learn how to deal with her powers. I still haven't seen the third one because I heard it sucked.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, and someone needs to inform me. I keep seeing "Emo" referred to all the time but I'm not sure what it is. It has something to do with music, but that's all I've got. Is it really big right now?
Emo (short for "emotional") kids are almost goth kids who are sad and sensitive all the time. They let their hair grow in their faces so that they can cry behind it. The boys wear girls' jeans and sometimes eye makeup. Check out brotherfucker's avatar for a picture of one. I am a high school teacher in a really middle-class white area (Spokane Valley, WA) and middle class white kids love to be emo. They have to feel like someone is picking on them and that they are repressed because they have nothing to complain about. They typically hate their moms, write poems that are depressing, and listen to often-shitty independent music like Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, and Iron & Wine. Basically they are my favorite kids to make fun of, and they get more ridiculous the older they get. I hope this was helpful.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
Iron & Wine.
*gasp!* no!... oh well. i think they're nice.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
They typically hate their moms, write poems that are depressing, and listen to often-shitty independent music like Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, and Iron & Wine. Basically they are my favorite kids to make fun of, and they get more ridiculous the older they get. I hope this was helpful.

Ah, so it's basically neo-Goth, just with brighter colors. All the Goths I knew who outgrew that faze ended up turning into really interesting people. But the Goths who never outgrew it just got really sad, pretending they were vampires/witches, whatever. I guess role-playing has its place, you just can't let it take over your life.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudell
*gasp!* no!... oh well. i think they're nice.
I HATE their cover of such great heights by the postal service. It was one of my least favorite songs by TPS, but the Iron & Wine version is awful.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

i've heard it and dont like it so much either, but someone bought me the Our Endless Numbered Days and i liked it.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess role-playing has its place, you just can't let it take over your life.
Exactly. Here is what happens if it DOES take over your life:
http://www.neromilitaryclubs.com/images/P3230076.jpg
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly. Here is what happens if it DOES take over your life:
http://www.neromilitaryclubs.com/images/P3230076.jpg

Oh yeah, my hippie aunt and uncle dress up and go into the woods to pretend they are from LOTR or something. I'm a geek who plays video games and likes comic books, anime (to SOME degree, mostly the dark stuff), and science fiction, but I've never dressed up in a costume outside of Halloween in childhood and I do not own a single action figure or "doll." So I consider myself eccentric but not scary.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I am a high school teacher in a really middle-class white area (Spokane Valley, WA).
What do you teach? I am looking into getting a teaching cert for High School science.

Quote:
Basically they are my favorite kids to make fun of, and they get more ridiculous the older they get.
Teachers that make fun of kids... I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.