Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone have experiance with Zoloft

i got some perscirptions today, she said it was the generic form of Zoloft

Sertraline
Taken daily for depression and social phobia

Lorazepam .5 MG
To be taken before social activities to help with anxiety

Ive never been on any drugs before and I don't want to sound like tom cruse but I don't really buy into the whole mood chemicals and nureons business.

There are shitty things in my life
I feel shitty

I fix shitty things
I stop feeling shitty

But I fear that with the pills I wont have any motivation to fix my life for real and I'm just going to be some zombie just trudging though life without any motivation or humanity.

I'm legitmately scared and I was wondering if anyone else has any experiances with pills like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post

There are shitty things in my life
I feel shitty

I fix shitty things
I stop feeling shitty
relief from the symptoms don't cure the disease, darlin'.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
relief from the symptoms don't cure the disease, darlin'.
But is it even a disese, I feel shitty beacuse my life is shitty, is that not the simpleist answer?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was speaking in metaphor.

What I meant was, by all means, if taking these drugs eases your anxiety so that you can take a more reasoned look at your situation and deal with your demons: great! If you think taking these drugs will fix your problems or that the things you feel will be at all real and your problems solved, you'd be quite mistaken.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depression can result in abnormally low levels of neurochemicals, or maybe vice versa. Either way this is a biological fact, and not voodoo witch doctor magic. People are biological machines. And that's like a tune-up. Neurochemicals can also change from positive interaction, which is how I assume talk therapy works.

I was on Paxil for a minute, because I have an anxiety disorder. But because I have an anxiety disorder, taking Paxil made me incredibly anxious and I thought it would give me horrendous side effects and so I got off of it prematurely, which may have been the wrong choice because it just got worse for me.

Depression can result in things like self sabotage or the idea that nothing will work out ok. So maybe that's why you immediately jump to the conclusion that pills are bad and will fuck up your life.

Just my two cents.

You could also talk to people, or a therapist, and possibly get equally good results.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok, i think i can speak here since i have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder years ago, and have been under meds from then.

No, the meds wont solve all your problems, and yes your problems can be solved generally without them.

Therapy and pharmaceuticals are being over-prescribed. They're a harsh remedy with tons of side effects. Too many doctors give them away like they're candy when a good series of well done sessions could hel much more.

I had a good number of suicide attempts on my back, hallucinations, panic attacks, violent outburts, long periods of non-eating and binge drinking, followed by throwing up until i spat blood. OCD stuff that had to do from religious rituals to self cuttin, through counting and destroying my belongings. I kinda was forced by a very close person to go to a therapist.

I had to go through three guys before i found a balance of stuff that didnt completely turn me into a vegetable. I got better but it was mostly through self help and i'm still addicted to both meds and sleeping pills.

The lorazepam is addictive. It's used as a sleep aid or anxiety reductor. It's not alight dosage. Dont know about the other.

Most of the side effects i experienced included: the complete elimination of a sex drive and momentary impotence (literally, some of that stuff destroys your ability to have a boner), you get fat, and your blacks and whites turns to grey. You wont solve anythiung and will still have all your issues, only you wont give a fuck about it. And if you ever cut the meds off you'll have violent withdrawals (at least i do).

So, dont be an idiot and watch out. You problems arent big enough to be cured with meds.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Zoloft made me feel like shit from the side effects. I felt like I was rolling hard, gritted/grinded my teeth, and the feeling didn't go away really after the settling in period. Plus, it didn't give me any of the benefits I was looking for, even after being on it a while.

I switched to Effexor, which was awesome for me and helped out while I was on it for roughly a year. Biggest problem with antidepressants for me is that they tend to make me gain weight, especially when I paired it with anti-anxiety meds. Since then, exercise helped me get off it altogether.

Try it out for 6 months, keep track of how you feel, and report back to your Dr to mess with dosage levels or to try another drug. But unlike street drugs, don't expect magical changes.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

It works great for me. The main thing is take it as prescribed and be sure to monitor how you feel. If you ever decide to quit taking it don't quit cold turkey. There is a reason they step down the dose over timeif you are going to quit.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you're taking the lorazepam for social anxiety and not full blown panic attacks, I advise against it. Shits really addictive and from my experience (used to take Xanax) it doesn't make social situations easier/more enjoyable, you just don't give a shit, so you're not anxious, but just as awkward. As for the antidepressants, I worked in a pharmacy for a couple of years, and they are wayyyy overprescribed. Of course some people need them, but if you feel that you need to take them, I would definitely consult a psychiatrist rather than your General Practitioner. Most regular doctors just aren't as well equipped with dealing with mental disorders and are too quick to just write prescriptions for psych meds.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

In all seriousness: do you, or have you ever, smoke(d) weed?