Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: Boycott Target?
Yes 21 22.11%
No 36 37.89%
I don't even shop at target 29 30.53%
Fourth option 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

As easily as I can boycott Best Buy (which is tied up in this mess, too), I can't boycott Target... It saddens me that they support someone tied to a band with a skewed view of morality. However, it's not convenient at this time for me to boycott. I will try, though.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was talking to my co-worker about this yesterday, and we decided not to boycott on the grounds that target didn't give the money based on the candidates anti-gay stance, but instead on their pro-business stance and that target is one of the most gay-friendly corporations in America. Not only do they have incredible benefits for their LGBT staff, they regularly hire gay people, as well as trans and gender non-conforming people.

Also, if I don't go to Target I'd be going to Wal-Mart. And walmart is only not famous for being anti-gay because it's already famous for being anti-humanity in seemingly all of it's policies.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's funny. My brother is gay and just got hired at Target yesterday.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Boycotts are almost entierly inane anyways.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official KATG Fucktard Club

I'm not against people boycotting, but I'm not doing it myself. There's a Target at the Atlantic Avenue stop where I like to go when I'm feeling brain dead and need to consume.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Is it possible that they contributed because the anti-gay candidate had very pro-business ideas? Maybe if a pro-gay candidate also had pro-business ideas they would have supported that individual instead. It's just been my experience that businesses tend to vote their wallet more than any other issue.
I think half of the contention of the boycott is that the candidate's anti-gay stance wasn't enough to deter Target from giving him money.

Supporting anti-gay efforts whether through outright agreement or enticement is still support, no matter how you dress it up.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
Boycotts are almost entierly inane anyways.
I typically feel this way but when asked by my two gay bffs if I was going to boycott Taraget, I replied "Do I have to?" and they said yes.

Daaaaang it. Done and done. I'll miss you, cheap toilet paper....
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Is it possible that they contributed because the anti-gay candidate had very pro-business ideas? Maybe if a pro-gay candidate also had pro-business ideas they would have supported that individual instead.
It's not like Target was obligated to pick someone to support. You can't donate money to a politician and then pretend like that money wasn't anti-gay money just pro-business money. Support implies complicity with all a politicians policies. Target didn't care ENOUGH to not donate.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by portions_for_foxes View Post
It's not like Target was obligated to pick someone to support. You can't donate money to a politician and then pretend like that money wasn't anti-gay money just pro-business money. Support implies complicity with all a politicians policies. Target didn't care ENOUGH to not donate.

Depending on the politician and the situation, sometimes you DO have to donate. I learned that while I was on a team trying to get a data center built in Chicago. Without the appropriate "donations" we couldn't get a single permit approved or inspector to show up. It isn't like we were building some crazy, dangerous data center that would've been the slum-lord of the internet, either. It was a converted warehouse in a properly zoned area.

I don't have any insight into how this applies or doesn't to Target, but not all donations are entirely voluntary.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

I don't think you need that much reason to boycott something. If a company is doing something that you strongly don't agree with, and you think boycotting it will make a difference, or perhaps at least just make YOU feel better about not supporting them, then go ahead and do so.

As for this specific situation, yeah Target is doing a deuche move, but I prefer Target to Wal-mart, so as long as a Target is closer to me, I'd still shop there...oh well. Not unless I could somehow rally a bunch of people to join me in the boycott, but I'm not good at rallying people.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club