Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: Boycott Target?
Yes 21 22.11%
No 36 37.89%
I don't even shop at target 29 30.53%
Fourth option 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

It's legal for corporations to support charities or political movements (Target supports involuntary service for peace corp or the military and anti-gay legislation), which is enshrined in the 1st amendment. These are also reasonable positions to take IMO.

Last edited by J!MMY; 08-06-2010 at 11:39 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!MMY View Post
It's legal for corporations to support charities or political movements (Target supports involuntary service for peace corp or the military and anti-gay legislation), which is enshrined in the 1st amendment. These are also reasonable positions to take IMO.
Um...what?

Corporate personhood doesn't come into play until the late 1800s, and I'm not sure how exactly Target supporting any of those things relates to the first amendment.

Be clearer/know your shit.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!MMY View Post
1) If there's anything not enshrined in the 1st Amendment, it's the rights of corporations.

2) Something legal isn't necessarily right; slavery was legal at one point

3) The boycott is not about the legality of Target's actions
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

While target may have been ignoring the anti-gay aspect of the politician they're donating to, I think that's not a good enough reason to right them off entirely. As an employer, they've done much more for the LGBT community than that one donation has done to harm them.

And if Target is donating to anti-gay candidates basically as a side effect of donating to pro-corporate candidates, what do you think Wal-Mart, K-Mart or whatever other stores are donating to, and we just don't know it because no one cares?

Corporate Personhood is bullshit, and corporations being able to donate to candidates is also total idiocy. But while it's still legal that's how corporations compete. Target needs to keep an edge in the market, and they need to play the game just like everyone else. I'd rather a corporation who's business policies I mostly agree with is on top than one I don't
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Funny, when the CEO of Whole FOods revealed how they handled health insurance for employees, it caused quite the outrage amongst people who shopped there. They cried "Boycott Whole Foods" (I don't even remember what the stupid reason was, but it irritated people. Guess what happened, nothing.

If you are going to scrutinize the moral/ethical views of corporations actions and not do business with them anymore, then you should:

Grow your own food
Make your own clothes
Build your own home, furniture, and any other appliances you want.
Build your own transportation, electronics devices you depend on, etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

They didn't even give money to the guy directly. They gave it to a pro-business lobby in Minnesota, where Target operates out of by the way, and they happen to support this candidate as well as a few others.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
Funny, when the CEO of Whole FOods revealed how they handled health insurance for employees, it caused quite the outrage amongst people who shopped there. They cried "Boycott Whole Foods" (I don't even remember what the stupid reason was, but it irritated people. Guess what happened, nothing.

If you are going to scrutinize the moral/ethical views of corporations actions and not do business with them anymore, then you should:

Grow your own food
Make your own clothes
I haven't shopped at whole foods for years because I don't like their business practices. I wasn't surprised at all when their CEO came out against health care.

It's a personal choice, I just don't want to spend money there.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post

Grow your own food
Make your own clothes
Mr. Mackey wrote:
"While we clearly need health-care reform, the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system. Instead, we should be trying to achieve reforms by moving in the opposite direction—toward less government control and more individual empowerment. Here are eight reforms that would greatly lower the cost of health care for everyone:..."

entire article here: John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com

So, if you were encouraged to boycott Whole Foods by those who believe(d) that we do in fact need a massive new health-care entitlement that will create unfunded deficits and/or that in fact people are stupid and the government should run every possible aspect of everyone's lives. Or possibly by those who really just want to tell other people how to live their lives, often to avoid having to actually live their own. Either way, your advice works.

Best thread title ever.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
So, if you were encouraged to boycott Whole Foods by those who believe(d) that we do in fact need a massive new health-care entitlement that will create unfunded deficits and/or that in fact people are stupid and the government should run every possible aspect of everyone's lives. Or possibly by those who really just want to tell other people how to live their lives, often to avoid having to actually live their own. Either way, your advice works.
Your argument is based on the fact that you believe, as Mackey believes, that the heathcare reform bill was misguided. If you believe, as I believe, that it will do basically the opposite of what he thinks it will do, than the boycott of wholefoods was at least partially justified.

At this point, only time will tell who is right. And even then, we might not know, considering how many different ways any once piece of data can be viewed and interpreted.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Your argument is based on the fact that you believe, as Mackey believes, that the heathcare reform bill was misguided. If you believe, as I believe, that it will do basically the opposite of what he thinks it will do, than the boycott of wholefoods was at least partially justified.

At this point, only time will tell who is right. And even then, we might not know, considering how many different ways any once piece of data can be viewed and interpreted.
Please tell me how you've concluded that Obamacare will in fact increase individual empowerment, decrease government control and save money.