Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

do you think the new hd will fix my freezing problem/which one should i get/i guess im not as comp savvy as i thought cause i dont know hoe to run it, do i need a blank cd for it?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

try this one: memtest

you can run it from windows.

It is really difficult to determine where the freezing problems are coming from, though ram can be the culprit. Try testing your hardware piece by piece, so you can eliminate what is causing the freezes. It could also be a software problem, and by re-installing windows and other software, you might fix it. Have you run virus and spyware programs yet?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

yeah, i do that fairly often, i have ad-ware se personal, spyware blaster, and cwshredder
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD Dude
What you need depends on what apps you run, your computer shouldn't be freezing whilst running mutiple apps, unless you are running heavy proggies. Perhaps you need to re-install windows and just add a new HD. The raptor is quick and sweet, but LOUD AS FUCK. Since you seem to know little about computers, i doubt you will notice the diff between the 2 hard drives.

I hope you realise that a new proccessor will require you to buy a new motherboard, and possibly new ram and other shit.
As a general practice I re-install Windows on my PC every 6 to 9 months. It's like buying a brand new computer. it runs amazingly fast and everything functions perfectly (well as perfect as a PC can). The general misconception is that deleting your files and freeing up space will alleviate any performance issues you're having, when in fact deleting files is the actual CAUSE of performance issues. The more you delete (uninstall) files, the more potential spacial fragmentation you are causing. Then when you go to save or install new files, the computer has to search over a larger number of discontinuous fragments to get your file or program up and running. If you back-up your files and do a fresh Windows install, your performance issues should be solved.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

i ran the test, it didnt find any errors

which hd should i choose though
Old 12-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Any sata HD should be fine. Western Digital, Hitachi, Maxtor and Seagate are good brands for HDs, get a 7.200 rpm one, don't bother with the 10.000 it doesn't make too much of a difference in performance, and they are really loud.