Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The difference between having gun control and not is the difference between the two news stories from the same day about children being attacked by madmen. In America 20 children died, in China 23 children were injured....that is the difference.

I agree that the problem is layered, it isn't JUST gun control and accessibility to weaponry but having access to fire arms as an unstable angry youth is just like a carrot dangled in front of a horse. It seems like we have had many opportunities to learn this lesson. However, that being said, gun control is not the only answer. In Canada we have strict hand gun laws and in my city, Montreal, we have had 4 gun attacks by maniacs in the past 20 years, 3 in schools

I agree with the idea that the media has a pretty irresponsible role in events like this. From the over exposure, to rumour reporting, to exploiting children at their most vulnerable. There is no conscious there, watching CNN is rubber-necking not informing yourself. I think that society as a whole must shame the news outfits into changing policy when it comes to 24 hour reporting ESPECIALLY on something of this nature.

It's so profoundly sad and disturbing. I had spent over 10 years as a child care worker and have a kid now myself. THe idea of shooting a 6 year old is so mind boggling, so unbearable for the parents of these kids...I can't imagine. I hope this is it and no copy cats come out of it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have a six year old and a three year old and I just have to look at them and imagine...

Reform of firearms laws (take a look at what Australia did after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre if you want a starting point) so that semi automatic weapon ownership can be severely curtailed.

Reform of education - because, fuck me, Americas public education system is all kinds of abortion-like right now.

Reform of health care - with a meaningful commitment to providing a public health care system that looks after people and gives them access to health care regardless of their station in life (again - look to Australia and Canada for examples).

Reform of laws related to lobbyists - because, fuck me, haven't they just corrupted your system of democracy.

Reform of the Constitution to bring into the 21st century. Thid ain't no wild west show anymore.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 12-19-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Parents need to remember too, this little human you are caring for grows up to be an adult. Abuse them, neglect them, warp them, pervert them and you are responsible. They are on loan, they aren't yours to keep. Raise them to be better then you and they will be.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

qft
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

This issue is very much an onion. Some gun owners are the most responsible people I know in terms of storage, and following the law. On the other hand it is easier to get a gun in some areas of the world then it is to get mental health treatment which of course is a huge part of the problem in these mass killings.

The area of Connecticut where the shooting took place is one of the wealthiest in the US, so if money talks in politics like many people think then there may be hope for real change to the laws that would help prevent this type of tragedy. At least they may have more resources for going up against the behemoth that is the NRA.

It's hard to imagine that you would be able to have any meaningful reduction in fire power in the US though.

After Dunblane (Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) some friends of mine who did various gun competitions in the UK (ex SAS) had to travel to other countries to practice.

The folks talking about arming the teachers though need to have their heads read.

Some of the teachers involved in attempting to stop the shooter are real heroes. The principle and school psychologist charged at him and apparently the one grade one teacher hid all her kids and said they were at gym to shooter. Unbelievably brave. There is also one story of the one girl who pretended to be dead and survived because of it.

It's truly a horrible thought of all these young children being killed, It's difficult to even think about.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Charlotte Bacon, 6 Daniel Barden, 7 Rachel Davino, 29 Olivia Engel, 6 Josephine Gay, 7 Ana Marquez-Greene, 6 Dylan Hockley, 6 Dawn Hochsprung, 47 Madeleine Hsu, 6 Catherine Hubbard, 6 Chase Kowalski, 7 Jesse Lewis, 6 James Mattioli, 6 Grace McDonnell, 7 Anne Marie Murphy, 52 Emilie Parker, 6 Jack Pinto, 6 Noah Pozner, 6 Caroline Previdi, 6 Jessica Rekos, 6 Avielle Richman, 6 Lauren Rousseau, 30 Mary Sherlach, 56 Victoria Soto, 27 Benjamin Wheeler, 6 Allison Wyatt, 6

Maybe this'll help you think...if everyone burned these names onto their consciousness instead of the shooter, then maybe people will be compelled to consider real change.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
Charlotte Bacon, 6 Daniel Barden, 7 Rachel Davino, 29 Olivia Engel, 6 Josephine Gay, 7 Ana Marquez-Greene, 6 Dylan Hockley, 6 Dawn Hochsprung, 47 Madeleine Hsu, 6 Catherine Hubbard, 6 Chase Kowalski, 7 Jesse Lewis, 6 James Mattioli, 6 Grace McDonnell, 7 Anne Marie Murphy, 52 Emilie Parker, 6 Jack Pinto, 6 Noah Pozner, 6 Caroline Previdi, 6 Jessica Rekos, 6 Avielle Richman, 6 Lauren Rousseau, 30 Mary Sherlach, 56 Victoria Soto, 27 Benjamin Wheeler, 6 Allison Wyatt, 6

Maybe this'll help you think...if everyone burned these names onto their consciousness instead of the shooter, then maybe people will be compelled to consider real change.
Dean you're behaving like a fucking idiot.

Am I supposed to take what you say seriously when you have an icon of a character that wandered thru the streets of LA as a vigilante with a gun.

I am hopeful that people will make real change I just have my doubts about some parts of the US.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I don't get guns. If you want to bear arms, get yourself a nice sword. If you need to kill someone in your house, that would do. If you're gonna murder someone, do it on purpose with your own hands. Guns are for cops, hunters, and pussies.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
About 12,000 people die from homicides by guns in the US a year. Much of that is related to gangs and carrying out felonies. We kill more than twice that many people by exercising our right to convenient transportation (and a substantial portion of them are children).

This is happening because America rewards killers with immortality. No single person has more power over the American public's mind than a mass killer.

Taking away guns will never take that appeal away. The mass murderer has learned the power he has. That will not stop until Americans learn how to be decent people with the mass media. (Emphasis added)
I was sort of following you until that last paragraph (although the fact that more people die from traffic accidents than from guns is irrelevant, and we heavily regulate motor vehicles). What are you saying in that last paragraph?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post

My, aren't you a self-righteous and sanctimonious little Aussie know-it-all.