Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Spicy 7 layer bean dip FTW!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hey, I know it's not typical Christmas food, but perhaps that's why this is a good suggestion! It's delicious and (it seems) relatively easy to cook!

Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Bean Curry) -- it's apparently a relatively popular Indian dish, and Indian food is pretty epic. It's delicious and vegetarian, so I don't know if anyone in your family would particularly appreciate that, but it's always nice to have something for the freaks, er I mean, people who don't eat meat...lol

Here's the recipe....

Ingredients:

2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water
2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
2"piece of ginger jullinned
6 cloves of garlic minced
2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
2 fresh green chillies chopped fine
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
A pinch of asafetida
Chopped coriander to garnish
Preparation:

Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft.
Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
Add the red kidney beans, 3 cups of warm water, asafetida, salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (aproximately 10 minutes).
Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy).
Garnish with corainder and serve piping hot with plain boiled rice and Kachumbar salad and a pickle of your choice.

Now, really that seems simple as hell, BUT IF THAT'S NOT SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR YOU!

Check your local grocery store, they might have these boxes in the ethnic food isle by the company, Kitchens of India...they're basically like hamburger helper but for Indian food....they have several different curries and things but just look for the Rajma Masala

Or buy them on Amazon Kitchens Of India Ready To Eat Rajma Masala, Red Kidney Bean Currry, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I've had the dish several times before, because my former sister-in-law is Indian and as glad as I am to call her "former" she was a pretty damn good cook. I've never made this on my own though...

I'm actually going to be trying the Kitchens of India thing though, I can report back on how that goes...I tried a similar product last night to help me make Pad Thai (it wasn't as simple a process) and that worked great. So yeah...ugh
hope this helps or at least gives you an option.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Does it have to be beans? How do you feel about lentils? Because I have the sexiest mousakka recipe ever...
Whatcha doing on oh, say, the 25th? Heehee
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post

Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Bean Curry) -- it's apparently a relatively popular Indian dish, and Indian food is pretty epic. ...
this looks like a great recipe!

/copy and paste to recipe bank...

you don't happen to have a favorite recipe for Dal makhani do you?? I still haven't figured out how to make this myself yet. Madhur Jaffrey has let me down too many times when it comes to dal

Last edited by HumbleNarrator; 12-14-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
They call me B. Jason

Seeing as how this thread has taken a major tangent into Indian food, I'm reminded of a major culinary win I had two weeks ago. I made Saag/Palak Paneer! And I made my own paneer too! It was like cheesy magic! If I didn't realize it before, a lot of Indian dishes require a hell of a lot of dairy.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicBoy View Post
Seeing as how this thread has taken a major tangent into Indian food, I'm reminded of a major culinary win I had two weeks ago. I made Saag/Palak Paneer! And I made my own paneer too! It was like cheesy magic! If I didn't realize it before, a lot of Indian dishes require a hell of a lot of dairy.
nice!

between the clarified butter, cream and cheese, it is indeed about the most dairy-ful food there is without really seeming like it. hell, even the desserts are puddings, ice creams and fried cheese balls. and wash it all down with a yogurt drink and spiced tea brewed with milk!

yummy
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNarrator View Post
you don't happen to have a favorite recipe for Dal makhani do you?? I still haven't figured out how to make this myself yet. Madhur Jaffrey has let me down too many times when it comes to dal
I love that stuff, but unfortunately no, I've only somewhat recently decided to try and venture into cooking more Asian and Middle Eastern recipes.

For the most part I'm an Italian food guy...lots of tomatoes and pork and carbs and shrooms and cheese!

Doesn't dal makhani take forever to prepare and cook? If I'm wrong about this, I might have to try it sometime.

Edit: If you have some suggestions for other good / not too difficult recipes, I'd love to hear some.

Last edited by DudeEMETIB; 12-14-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

thanks so much to everyone for helping this oh so stereotypical bachelor.
NOM NOM NOM NOM