Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Event- TV show talk

I have noticed some other threads about various shows starting up with the new TV season getting underway.

personally I have really been liking the Event (for the most part)

It is more then just a lost clone (Way better then Flash Forward)

My only problem with it is the plot involving the Guy trying to save his girlfriend. Has almost no connection to the AWESOME aliens/president story and hopefully will connect soon beacuse while it may be well made and interesting on its own I really just want to see more about the aliens.

My guess is that Sean (the "main character") is himself related to the aliens. (he mentioned he was estranged from his parents in a flashback) The connection is so loose and every week they don't connect Sean to the aliens they are just putting it forward more and more and are writing a check for a bigger and bigger payoff.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
It is more then just a lost clone (Way better then Flash Forward)
See, my thing is that if this show is anything like Lost at all, I want nothing to do with it.

I'm that pissed off with Lost.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

The problem I have with shows like this is in the writing. When the show skips time frames, the characters speak in such broad generalities that they ultimately say nothing because to be specific would give away information that the audience should not have yet. The problem with that is that they're supposedly talking to the President, who shouldn't be accepting shrugged shoulders as a response.

The other thing is when the time frame skips from present to two weeks ago, then back to present, then back to one week ago, the characters one week ago or today should be aware of what happened two weeks ago. Yet these characters act like they don't remember anything that happened.

These are tough shows to write, and unless they're perfectly scripted for the entire season up front before they're chopped up and restructured for shooting, they don't match up to the savvy viewer. Many more viewers are savvy after following "24" and "Lost." Writers can't write something and never deviate because there will be pressure from the network to focus on or kill off a character or storyline based on audience response.

I don't know that I will stay with "The Event." The pilot was interesting, but the rest have been sitting in my DVR ever since.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
See, my thing is that if this show is anything like Lost at all, I want nothing to do with it.

I'm that pissed off with Lost.
exactly
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lost Clone = Shit Clone
Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Problem is, odds are, and I'll try not to...but...

odds are one day, I'm going to not have homework, or maybe be productive and finish early...or something....and I'll be super bored, a party will be cancelled, my friend will bail on me and the movies is a no-go...or something...
and I'll be online

I'll be on hulu....and I'll see it...I'll see The Event...something inside me will say

"fuck it...let's watch the first episode"

and if this is any bit as "okay/good" as the first episode of Lost was....I'm gonna probably stay and watch this whole goddamn series and fuck me if it isn't as stupid and disappointing as that shit Lost turned out to be.

Fuck...

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

The thing is, from the beginning most people could tell lost was going to be a cryptic mysterious symbolic wank fest.

But Event has actually been answering things. For anyone who was turned off by the constant flashbacks and out of order story telling they really do start to get it under control as the series progresses. For the past few episodes flashbacks have only been used to explain character motivation and provide exposition, and sparingly at that.

I'm just happy to see some real shows on television with actual effort being put into them. I hope this does well not only to help Science fiction based television, but serialized storytelling as a whole. Say what you will about Lost, but it was able to prove that a show can tell an over-arching story for years and still be a success.

The last thing we need is any more Dancing with the stars or more of the same law and order knock-offs (I love Law and Order (really just SVU) but its syndicated on so many channels with so many different episodes I think that you could watch one at any time in the day.)

Snookie is getting a spinoff for god sakes... WE NEED BETTER TELEVISION

Last edited by doctorsleep; 10-20-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had to roll my eyes last week when Sean "hacked" his way into an unsecured wireless access point and had this advanced looking application up on his computer that he used to find it. Would have been funnier if he was just refreshing Window's list of available access points.

"It's amazing how many people still don't password protect their wifi. Clearly they have no idea what lurks out there."
Cheesy.

Agreed, I could do without Sean and his g/f. I'm done with the awkward geeky hero and his hot g/f style of story.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by censorshipwreck View Post
Agreed, I could do without Sean and his g/f. I'm done with the awkward geeky hero and his hot g/f style of story.
100% ditto, I just love the President/Alien story sooo much, if I could just get that show for the whole hour this would be one of the best things on TV.

Hopefully that this week finally brings everything round circle. Maybe we can finally figure out who the flipping villains in this show are. (its not Thomas, he just wants the aliens free like Sophia, hes done some evil things to the passengers but he still saved the presidents life) I'm talking about the people who tried to kill the president.

I think the best way to handle the bad reaction people have been having to the Sean story is to use his girlfriend's tentative connection to the main plot (her father working for the villians) to rope him into the government task force with the rest of the white house characters. (The asian guy, the president, and the guy from heroes) he's a super hacker that can do machines so he could have a use on the team.

Personally I don't think they are aliens, I think they are Time Travelers from a distant future who came here by accident flying though space or something From a time when Humanity has evolved to the near-immortal state of the detainees.

Last edited by doctorsleep; 10-20-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

The writing is shit and there are plot holes big enough for Keith to walk through. They are in a police station with a perfectly good jail cell, but the bad guys decide to lock their victim away in an office with a bunch of files? Whats up with that? And they made it entirely too clear that down the road the key to the hero being believed will be the ring in the safe on the cruise ship, right?