Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #51 (permalink)

This is a great thread and I want in.
This movie has been sitting in my que for a while, so thanks for the motivation to watch. Half way through now and it's pretty interesting, but I'm a sucker for documentaries.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #52 (permalink)

aww shit it was me next? sorry the time difference throws me, i forget people are replying while i sleep. Im going to try keep up with film club so im off to seek this out now.

and jacey, "exit through the gift shop" would have been my choice, it just plain weird you mentioned it!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #53 (permalink)

I'm in I think this is brilliant.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #54 (permalink)

Not a bad movie overall. I liked the fact that they hired a private investigator and actually did some snooping, rather than just do a straight up documentary, which i thought it was going to be. I knew the MPAA was bad for movies, but this really made me think about what im actually missing out on as far as films go. the directors seem to hate it, the actors seem to hate it, you'd think they would actually stand up and say something, or at least make a fuss during an oscar speech.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #55 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I have to miss out on this film, I've been meaning to watch this but I don't have the time to make the deadline.

Looking forward to the next selection
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #56 (permalink)

Like I said before, I'm a sucker for documentaries. I fall for the directors POV every time. However with this one, I did not really agree. Yes, it is a shady organization, but directors to have the option to not submit it.
It sounds like this all comes down to money. If you don't get a movie rated or an R rating or less, then you will be hard pressed to find someone to distribute your film. It doesn't sound like the MPAA is censoring the film makers, but protecting the film companies best interest. Like I said it's money. To me, a true artist or storyteller shouldn't be concerned with "box office" success.
Sounds like if that's what they want, then they have to play by the rules.
Welcome To the real world film students....
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #57 (permalink)

the "real world" reality of the situation is that the MPAA rating system is an unchecked racist, sexist, and homophobic organization that are the gatekeepers to "box office" distribution.

this isnt about money its about access and eventually the MPAA will go away
if you make a film you want the most amount of people to see it - pay or no pay
theater distribution shouldnt be held hostage by an organization that isnt held accountable by anyone, newer theaters are run a bit differently such as the non-union IFC center in nyc or some other art houses around the country but to have any sort of social or cultural impact any filmmaker would prefer to have their film to be seen by many more people in a substantial way - think 70's films not youtube distribution

there are countless situations where the MPAA gets the rating wrong - and their "court of appeals" is a joke of a process

This is all on top of the fact that to your average person the MPAA ratings equate in peoples minds as LAW. this is a very very dangerous idea - anything that is socially accepted as strict as law is a very dangerous thing especially from an organization more corrupt than even most governments or unions. NC-17 is not LAW do not ever forget that it is a reccomended rating system.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #58 (permalink)

Wow, the MPAA is fucked! Its a total dictatorship run by homophobic, conservative pricks! Of course there should be a rating system but this is insane. I liked Matt Stones thing about "well its probably more helpful than nothing but why cant there be something even more better?"

They kept talking about Europe as if it was this utopia of film ratings but the system here in the UK is pretty much the same, they must be referring to continental Europe because sexuality here is considered pretty hush hush but gratuitous violence is far more acceptable. Its probably more open than America, judging by this film, but its in no way ideal.

Great film, what's next?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecentroll View Post
It doesn't sound like the MPAA is censoring the film makers, but protecting the film companies best interest. Like I said it's money. To me, a true artist or storyteller shouldn't be concerned with "box office" success.
Sounds like if that's what they want, then they have to play by the rules.
Welcome To the real world film students....
It's not so much about the financial box office success as it is about being exposed, getting your work out there for people to see. Nobody makes a movie, writes a book, or paints something in order for people NOT to be able to see it. Yeah, the real world might be that the MPAA has a retarded amount of control over that, but how does that make it acceptable?

I agree with Matt, too many people consider the MPAA ratings law, hell some people treat it like God's commandments. Growing up I knew tons of kids, and luckily I was not one of them, whose parents would never allow them to watch something PG/PG-13 (back in grade school), or R in later years...I mean that's retarded, but people think like that.

Anyway, the movie was good. Not shocking, of course the MPAA blows, but revealing.

-oh and those clergy members, wtf. lolz

Movie 2 > Movie 1

Good choice Jacey.

KATG Film Club, FUCK YEAH, SUCK YEAH!

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club

Last edited by DudeEMETIB; 01-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
KATG Film Club, FUCK YEAH, SUCK YEAH!
This made me lolz.

Okay, I have to admit I haven't finished the film. I keep trying to watch it in bed at night, but then I just fall asleep. I will say this for it, though: it is an EXCELLENT film to fall asleep to when you're super sleepy. Two ZZzzzs up. (To be clear, I'm not saying it's boring. It's my fault for watching it so late.)

But seriously, I'm gonna finish it today. And I'm so excited that the one-and-only Matthew Bray weighed in! Wow, Matt B-- you really gave my buddy Crecentroll a smack!

Film Club is getting interesting...

Our love is God...
let's go get a Slushie.