Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #81 (permalink)

Sweet, moon is kick ass. I saw it in the theater, but the bluray has been sitting on my shelf unwatched for a while. Film club rules.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #82 (permalink)

Moon was pretty fuckin awesome, way better than i thought it would be, and less WTF moments than i expected.
nice pick Dude.
and i forgot to post, but i watched This Film Is Not Yet Rated. i enjoyed it also. i think it could have been 5 hours long and still informative and fresh.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #83 (permalink)

Getting a hi-def version of Moon to be extra fancy-pants. Going to watch Not Yet Rated now.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #84 (permalink)

I wonder why no major indie release has been purely online yet. I'd buy a movie at 720p for $0.99 over downloading it illegally, and a straightforward talkie can be shot for a similar price to app development these days. Cut to 3 months later, with a few thousand purchases the makers have covered costs, and it starts to get a bit of acclaim in movie magazines/podcasts and snowballs. It wouldn't even take studio levels of investment. Maybe I'm just the target audience, but after what, 5 years? of Xbox Live Arcade and Steam and the like, games seem to be doing juuuuust fine whilst operating on a similar (more time consuming) model.

Where Does Godzilla Poopcast :: Steam :: XBL: Space Indaver :: ** KATG Playmates **

Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #85 (permalink)

Wow film club dose not fuck around! this is more like film Blitzkrieg, either keep up or get left behind but film club is marching forward! This film looks really good but im not going to have time to watch it so ill have to catch up at a later date

Ahh film club you are a cruel mistress...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #86 (permalink)

Moon was FUCKING AWESOME. I teared up a bit when I saw Sam's face when his "daughter" told him his "wife" was dead.

Last edited by RoundAbout; 01-25-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #87 (permalink)

Moon was great! A friend of mine said he thought it was too slow, I can't say it's not a slow paced movie...but I don't think it's painfully slow or anything, it just kinda adds to the sense of isolation, being alone on the moon that along...then as the reality of Sam's situation starts to unfold, the movie really kinda gets depressing.

Also, you gotta love Gerty, a really interesting play on artificial intelligence with that character. And he's much nicer than Hal was, lol.

SPOILER ALERT!!! (Kind of, but don't risk it)

-When the other Sam is driving off after leaving the "main Sam" to die, I had to wonder what's going on in his head...I mean...knowing you're just a clone in a creepy cycle of determined existence...none of your memory is really "real" but just copied...you clone Sams must've been there for at least a few of those 3 year "contracts"...crazy.

Anyway, enjoyed the film.
But I guess there's still some time before I have to name the next movie picker right?

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
Anyway, enjoyed the film.
But I guess there's still some time before I have to name the next movie picker right?
Well, it will be 48 hrs tonight at 10cst, but Dave said we should give at least 48 hrs between movies, so yeah, you have some time.

CAUTION: SPOILERS BELOW!!

I absolutely loved Moon. I loved the way it looked. I loved Sam Rockwell's performances-- both of them. I loved the fact that I thought I had a handle on the plot at first, but at the 40-minute mark, all the sudden I had no clue and had to really think to figure it out. I loved that Gerber seemed like sort of an homage to HAL, but was also completely different from HAL.

I kept thinking of David Bowie's song, Major Tom, where the astronaut loses communication with Earth and floats out in space by himself, and wants to send a message to his wife-- sound familiar? And I was also thinking of The Man Who Fell To Earth, the film where Bowie played an alien. I love this film and, in high school, I even had the poster (which is so beautiful) on my wall. (I was kind of obsessed with David Bowie.) And although that film is about an alien observing Earth culture, a totally different premise, I thought the ending of this movie might have been a reference to that, as Sam II could have been called a man who fell to Earth, too. And I was thinking about Duncan Jones growing up, thinking about space... But perhaps I'm taking that idea too far.

Anyway, I kept wondering why this movie didn't have a bigger roll-out in the US. I thought Sam Rockwell's performance was Oscar-worthy. Or at least nomination-worthy. I checked Wiki and it did win the British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) award for Best British Independent Film, which sounds like a big deal. And it was nominated for the BAFTA for Best British Film, too. So... I guess it must have been a big hit across the pond.

And I didn't think it was slow at all. And I loved certain little details, like the brand-new "Wake Me When It's Quitting Time" t-shirt that was folded inside a plastic bag, in the container with Sam III, and the post-it notes. Anyway, 2 thumbs up.

Our love is God...
let's go get a Slushie.

Last edited by jacey.ATX; 01-25-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacey.ATX View Post
Well, it will be 48 hrs tonight at 10cst, but Dave said we should give at least 48 hrs between movies, so yeah, you have some time.

I absolutely loved Moon. I loved the way it looked. I loved Ed Norton's performances-- both of them. I loved the fact that I thought I had a handle on the plot at first, but at the 40-minute mark, all the sudden I had no clue and had to really think to figure it out. I loved that Gerber seemed like sort of an homage to HAL, but was also completely different from HAL.

I kept thinking of David Bowie's song, Major Tom, where the astronaut loses communication with Earth and floats out in space by himself, and wants to send a message to his wife-- sound familiar? And I was also thinking of The Man Who Fell To Earth, the film where Bowie played an alien. I love this film and, in high school, I even had the poster (which is so beautiful) on my wall. (I was kind of obsessed with David Bowie.) And although that film is about an alien observing Earth culture, a totally different premise, I thought the ending of this movie might have been a reference to that, as Sam II could have been called a man who fell to Earth, too. And I was thinking about Duncan Jones growing up, thinking about space... But perhaps I'm taking that idea too far.

Anyway, I kept wondering why this movie didn't have a bigger roll-out in the US. I thought Ed Norton's performance was Oscar-worthy. Or at least nomination-worthy. I checked Wiki and it did win the British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) award for Best British Independent Film, which sounds like a big deal. And it was nominated for the BAFTA for Best British Film, too. So... I guess it must have been a big hit across the pond.

And I didn't think it was slow at all. And I loved certain little details, like the brand-new "Wake Me When It's Quitting Time" t-shirt that was folded inside a plastic bag, in the container with Sam III, and the post-it notes. Anyway, 2 thumbs up.

You mean sam rockwell right? lol I thought the movie was great. its the first real sci-fi film thats been made in a long long time, rather than an alien/futuristic action film. Watching it all unfold was the best part. It really was an oscar worthy movie and was completely under represented. Kevin Spacy was great as GERTY too.

Last edited by Station; 01-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #90 (permalink)

Oh wow, amazing, amazing spoilers in that last post. Cheers for that.