Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm in no way involved in video editing, so you can completely disregard this if you want.

When I was in 11th-12th grade, I was convinced I wanted to do web design/development. I'm now majoring in mathematics aiming to be a math professor. There are physicists who dropped out of HS to be magicians, musicians who are now professors of math, etc. My references are obviously science based, since that's what I'm around mostly, but I also have a friend who did 2 years of Engineering major before deciding to go to art school.

I think the advantage of a Uni over a specialized college is it can give you a broader perspective of what's available. I suppose the downside is if you do stick with video editing, you'll probably have to "waste time" doing all the other stuff people listed.

I haven't been out in the real world though (did some web design projects, but that hardly counts), and haven't even completed my degree, so take all this with a grain of salt.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks a lot guys, your advice is much appreciated. And that is, I suppose, another point for university. I can take a bunch of other courses, keep my options open.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Can't speak from experience in this particular field of study, but I have known people who went to both Humber and Ryerson.

Hands down Ryerson is the place to go. So, Humber has a huge amount of equipment, right? So does Ryerson - maybe even more. As far as university rep goes, Ryerson is know for this kind of stuff. Someone says, "well, I'm going to work in film or tv," and the immediate response is, "why aren't you at Ryerson?"

If you can do it, go for the university experience - not saying at all the college is a second rate choice, because it usually isn't. Just that in this particular case, I think Ryerson is the better choice for your chosen field.

You could also try contacting or doing a little background research on people in the industry you want to emulate. There is a chance they attended some post secondary institution. If, for some reason they all attended, I dunno... Windsor university, then consider looking into that one as well. Of course I use Windsor as a joke.. who the fuck goes there??

Go Canada!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

James Cameron attended Ryerson :P
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Ryerson is where every official KATG dodgeball tournament has been held. I'd go there.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
James Cameron attended Ryerson :P
>.>
Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

It's decided then :P