Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I was adjusting my volume up and down on a regular basis. If I kept it all the way up, you were blowing out my ears.

P.S. My pleasure.
I noticed it in the second episode (actually just realized I've only listened to the FAST version), but I figured it was just the dude. I didn't notice it in the first one, though. There was a third guy, right? As I remember it, he didn't talk all that much, or else you guys sound very similar. Maybe it was his lack of input that made him seem to trail off? I'm just yappin' my trap, though. I'll have to listen again to be sure.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
I noticed it in the second episode (actually just realized I've only listened to the FAST version), but I figured it was just the dude. I didn't notice it in the first one, though. There was a third guy, right? As I remember it, he didn't talk all that much, or else you guys sound very similar. Maybe it was his lack of input that made him seem to trail off? I'm just yappin' my trap, though. I'll have to listen again to be sure.
In the first ep, the third guy (kyle) did not speak at all. He was just documenting and journalizing.

So it looks like BrianAlt is just losing his hearing. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This is a cheap and "fairly simple" fix if you don't have an audio engineer handy Myq.

1. Open the file in Audacity (free software for Windows) and use click and drag to select the entire waveform (it should darken slightly)

2. Under "Effect" select "Compressor" and use these settings: Threshold -19dB; Noise Floor -40dB; Ratio 6:1; Attack Time 0.1secs; Decay Time 1.0secs, then hit OK and let the file compress (this lowers the higher volumes to even them out with the lower volumes)

3. Now under "Effect" select "Hard Limiter" and set it to: dB limit -8; Wet level 1; Residue level 0 and hit OK (This clips any stray peaks so that your amplification is less limited)

4. Under "Effect" select "Amplify". It should have (+)8 preloaded because of the Hard Limiting ensuring that -8 is the highest peak (it will preload the amplification required to bring the highest peaks back to zero). Hit Ok.

The levels in the master were so far out I repeated these steps twice more before Exporting the new file. Once the settings are entered though, the program remembers them so you don't need to punch them in over and over.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I was adjusting my volume up and down on a regular basis. If I kept it all the way up, you were blowing out my ears.

P.S. My pleasure.
Agreed, I kept rewinding and turning up the volume to hear some of the stories. Myq, you know how to use a mic so you're volume was just fine.

Myq,....mic. Hehe, trademark Myq Kaplan
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGradStudent View Post
Myq, you know how to use a mic so you're volume was just fine.

That's all you!
And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
This is a cheap and "fairly simple" fix if you don't have an audio engineer handy Myq.
Thanks, and sorry you typed all the rest of the stuff, because I DO have an audio engineer. This issue should be resolved within a few episodes, due to different recording mechanisms that have been implemented, and the fact that Henry was just genuinely quieter than a lot of other people have been since. Keep us on our toes, and I'm glad everyone just wants the show to be as good and audible as possible, but I'm told the issues should be resolved soon, if not immediately. (Though not retroactively.)

Quote:

And see? No ears on Brian's smiley face!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGradStudent View Post
Myq, you know how to use a mic so you're volume was just fine.

That's all you!
And thanks!

Quote:
Thanks, and sorry you typed all the rest of the stuff, because I DO have an audio engineer. This issue should be resolved within a few episodes, due to different recording mechanisms that have been implemented, and the fact that Henry was just genuinely quieter than a lot of other people have been since. Keep us on our toes, and I'm glad everyone just wants the show to be as good and audible as possible, but I'm told the issues should be resolved soon, if not immediately. (Though not retroactively.)

Quote:

And see? No ears on Brian's smiley face!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
No, I know your future shows will be fine, what I'm saying is this is how you can fix episode 2 retroactively. You can take down the uneven file and upload the fixed one and save yourself a lifetime of emails from people reporting that episode 2 is unlistenable.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
No, I know your future shows will be fine, what I'm saying is this is how you can fix episode 2 retroactively. You can take down the uneven file and upload the fixed one and save yourself a lifetime of emails from people reporting that episode 2 is unlistenable.
Firstly, thanks!
Secondly, are you saying that you did this for yourself and accomplished what you say can be done?
Thirdly, I'll pass it along to Mr. Audio. (Not my producer's actual name.)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Firstly, you're welcome.

Secondly, exactamundo. But check your email because I don't want to clog your thread with either technical mumbo or jumbo.

Thirdly, rock on.