Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazmania83 View Post
here's a link to an overview of the current legislation in the UK.

this is a good starting point. I had it free on a photography magazine a while back and seeing as this topic came up I finally gave it a read.

I had no idea how common it was for photographers to become victimised but a quick search brings up similar stories where people are being challenged when they are within their rights.
you can spend days on youtube watching videos where someone is off to the side filming cops arresting someone and the police start harrassing them asking for ID, frisking them, etc.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

photographer's rights

I'm a Missouri resident who was visiting Chester Illinois a couple days ago. I noticed the big old Menard prison buildings, and decided to take some photos. I setup my tripod on the right-of-way between the railroad and street, and was never on the prison property. I took 7 or 8 shots (no people were visible in any of them), and as I was starting to leave, a prison officer walked out in front of my car to stop me. He told me that it was illegal to photograph the prison, that I could be arrested. I told him I wasn't aware of that and that I would just delete the photos. As I started to leave, he told me, "Don't come back." In my opinion, if they are going to have laws like that, the government needs to post warning signs at the prisons that photography is not allowed. If I had seen any signs like that, I would never have attempted to take photos.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkmtnbear View Post
I'm a Missouri resident who was visiting Chester Illinois a couple days ago. I noticed the big old Menard prison buildings, and decided to take some photos. I setup my tripod on the right-of-way between the railroad and street, and was never on the prison property. I took 7 or 8 shots (no people were visible in any of them), and as I was starting to leave, a prison officer walked out in front of my car to stop me. He told me that it was illegal to photograph the prison, that I could be arrested. I told him I wasn't aware of that and that I would just delete the photos. As I started to leave, he told me, "Don't come back." In my opinion, if they are going to have laws like that, the government needs to post warning signs at the prisons that photography is not allowed. If I had seen any signs like that, I would never have attempted to take photos.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU and welcome to the forums.

They probably didn't have a law.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's probably suspicious though, like you are casing the place.
If you were photographing a power plant or airport you'd probably get questioned too. Even though you probably have every right to do so.

I remember a few years back for law class I was taking we had an assignment where we had to observe a couple hours of court. In the US court is open to the public, it's your right to watch the proceedings.
I picked two random trials went in and sat down to observe and police in both cases questioned me about why I was there. Checked my ID, etc. Perfectly within your rights to do it, but you'll still get interrogated about it.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
It's probably suspicious though, like you are casing the place.
I'm sure you are totally correct. That seems to me to be the same rational used for photographing the police in action, that you are doing so for some illicit reason. My freedom to photograph the prison should be restricted because someone may acquire them and use them to stage a jail break? Your freedom to photograph the police in action should be restricted to prevent those photos from hindering the police in performing their jobs, or making them wary of doing their duty and getting sued in court for what they do?

I think our constitutional rights are being eroded little by little with such decisions and someone will eventually come along and say "Hey, this is gone far enough" and sue and higher courts will have to decide if this is legal or illegal.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ummm, yeah, sorry ... but public buildings built in plain sight with public funds should be fair game for photographers. Public officials being paid with public funds performing their duty in plain sight fall into the same category. They can have an expectation of privacy in their own homes with the shades drawn.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Ummm, yeah, sorry ... but public buildings built in plain sight with public funds should be fair game for photographers. Public officials being paid with public funds performing their duty in plain sight fall into the same category. They can have an expectation of privacy in their own homes with the shades drawn.
Whatsamatteru? Insufficient transparency in your government?