Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

I hate the Amish, why the fuck are they allowed to vote?

So, I'm here fighting the good fight in rural PA, being the only person to probably vote Democratic in my district, when I get stuck in line behind 8 fucking Amish people who are there to vote. Last time I checked, on top of the child slavery, animal abuse, inbreeding and drug smuggling, you people are exempt from pretty much any law besides murder and don't pay taxes on shit, especially property, which you buy at an ungodly rate. Why the fuck are you allowed to fucking vote?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Native Americans don't pay taxes either, and in my neck of the woods they commit a lot of crimes that occur in basically a legal gray area on a reservation betwen Canada and the US, but they still get to vote.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
So, I'm here fighting the good fight in rural PA, being the only person to probably vote Democratic in my district, when I get stuck in line behind 8 fucking Amish people who are there to vote. Last time I checked, on top of the child slavery, animal abuse, inbreeding and drug smuggling, you people are exempt from pretty much any law besides murder and don't pay taxes on shit, especially property, which you buy at an ungodly rate. Why the fuck are you allowed to fucking vote?
Some constitutional whosamawhatsits. It's written all weird and gay though, so I'm not really sure what it says.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah it is terrible that everyone gets a say in the leaders of their country and the laws they live by. I think we need to run the Amish out of the country as fast as their wagons can carry them. If they don't get out in time, they should be forced to use technology like the rest of us.

All sarcasm aside, those two cultures live a different way of life than the rest of us but it dosen't mean that they should not be allowed to participate in the political process. More regulation may be needed in those areas but the errors in the present laws should not disqualify them from casting their ballots like the rest of us.

"It's good to shut up sometimes" -Marcel Marceau
Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac108 View Post
All sarcasm aside, those two cultures live a different way of life than the rest of us but it dosen't mean that they should not be allowed to participate in the political process. More regulation may be needed in those areas but the errors in the present laws should not disqualify them from casting their ballots like the rest of us.
Yeah but this guys problem with the amish is that since they live in a little enclosed bubble they get away with molestering children and other such no-good doings
Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
All sarcasm aside, those two cultures live a different way of life than the rest of us...
If the other of "those two" you mention are the Natives that I mentioned, they don't live any differently from the majority of people. It's not like they're in fucking tepees. It's just that everlasting guilt of "my great great great great great grandfather fucked over your great great great great great grandfather". They run drugs and other contraband across the border constantly, and if US Border Patrol gets involved, they throw a hissy fit and block the main road that runs through the entirety of upstate New York. The Canadian government decided last year that they wanted to give their customs officials side arms, and they had another hissy fit, and blocked off the major border crossing for something like three months, which fucked the economy on both sides royally.

From this perspective, I can somewhat agree with the OP of the thread. You throw your middle finger up to the government under the guise of "preserving your culture" and expect to be treated to the same benefits? How fair is that?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with you flux, if they are not adhering to their traditions and preserve their way of life, they do not deserve the special legal conditions. I take issue with the whole idea of getting rid of their voting rights. If you are a shitty person, you should be thrown in jail, not blocked from the polls
Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with you flux, if they are not adhering to their traditions and preserve their way of life, they do not deserve the special legal conditions.
I don't think anybody deserves special treatment, no matter the cultural background. It's a bit more personal for me with the case of Native Americans, since I grew up dealing with the riots and blockades and stuff, but I think it holds true for every culture.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
If the other of "those two" you mention are the Natives that I mentioned, they don't live any differently from the majority of people. It's not like they're in fucking tepees. It's just that everlasting guilt of "my great great great great great grandfather fucked over your great great great great great grandfather". They run drugs and other contraband across the border constantly, and if US Border Patrol gets involved, they throw a hissy fit and block the main road that runs through the entirety of upstate New York. The Canadian government decided last year that they wanted to give their customs officials side arms, and they had another hissy fit, and blocked off the major border crossing for something like three months, which fucked the economy on both sides royally.

From this perspective, I can somewhat agree with the OP of the thread. You throw your middle finger up to the government under the guise of "preserving your culture" and expect to be treated to the same benefits? How fair is that?
My point exactly. The Amish really just exploit the loopholes. You should see their kids. They go into town, change clothes and then go party. I've seen them put frat boys to shame, some pious lifestyle. They also sell their "wares" to tourists at an exorbitant price, while of course, not paying taxes on them and having their brood build it for them. Of course, a lot of that brood gets their fingers chopped off in the band saw, but no worry, they're on government subsidized health care since they don't "technically" work. Hell, they carry tax exempt cards and use them at the supermarket and the mall, even Best Buy. WHY THE FUCK ARE AMISH AT BEST BUY!? I SEE LIGHTS ON IN YOUR GODDAMNED HOUSE ASSHOLES! It seems they get all the benefits of government, but don't have to pay into the system and yet still vote on what I am and am not allowed to do with my business.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah it is terrible that everyone gets a say in the leaders of their country and the laws they live by.
I think the point was they're voting on laws they aren't living by.

It seems pretty basic to me to require people to live by our laws before they can vote in our system. Our Constitution says every citizen of this nation can vote on its government, but it also says every citizen has to live by the goddamn rules. You don't get to pick one and leave the other.