Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also, how would one update the information on the chip?
Would you need a new one, or could you write to it using an external device, like a reverse-scanner? If so, who would have access to that technology?
I can see some backstreet places with bootleg or home made devices so that you can update your chip with whatever you see fit.
It would be like an internal myspace profile, the EMT's scan you and instead of your info, they get a big hello kitty logo come up and some annoying music instantly starts playing...
It would
a) be a human rights disaster and
b) fail miserably
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perclissigi
Also, how would one update the information on the chip?
Would you need a new one, or could you write to it using an external device, like a reverse-scanner? If so, who would have access to that technology?
I can see some backstreet places with bootleg or home made devices so that you can update your chip with whatever you see fit.
It would be like an internal myspace profile, the EMT's scan you and instead of your info, they get a big hello kitty logo come up and some annoying music instantly starts playing...
It would
a) be a human rights disaster and
b) fail miserably
...good points
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

The problem with this is that if it works, it can be a great success. Imagine how it could speed up homicide cases, and just make a lot of things a lot easier for a lot of people.

On the other hand, if it fails, it will fail badly. Depending on the limits of the device, all your vital information could be made relatively easily available, and identity theft would be as easy as rewriting the chip.

I guess I'm tentatively for it, but it's better just to stay away from the whole thing.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's hard enough to find somebody in your life to trust. I'm not ready to trust some random government asshole with the power over everything in my life. Technology is good but just because you can do it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Look how flawed computerized voting is. Good idea? Who knows. It's completely fraudulent in the hands of power hungry humans.

If they ever make this mandatory, I'm out. I'll be hiding out in Blitzgals storm cellar like the unabomber.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am not a Christian, but this is a little too Biblical for me. Most of the predictions in the Bible are like Nostradamus wherein it could be read any number of ways. It is, however, quite specific on the subject of implanting identification systems within your skin.
The Bible usually says has things in it like, "And after a lengthy time a great light was seen in the sky followed by a thunderous roar." Now if it said, "And lo, Ryan shalt be outside and before him a huge fucking meteor will blow up and be all cool and shit," that would impress me.

For me, Bible = bad. Bible being correct = worse.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

theres never going to be any form of ID that cant be faked.

a chip like that could hold info to start your car, unlock your house, id your body, limit access to your computer.

the range is low enough that you cant just copy everyone in a room, you have to get close, and if each bit of information is specific to another device, its no more dangerous than someone finding a set of keys on the street, without knowing the locks, they are useless.

nobody is going to just put everything about you unencoded on a chip, its silly to even think that. so if you are worried about it, you should be more worried about standard normal metal keys, they are lot easier to steal and duplicate.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm still waiting to find out about someone making a pay-pass reader. Just bump against some one's purse or wallet and go nuts.
I just don't trust 'em. Back in my day you couldn't buy a damn thing unless my grand-pappy grew up with your grand-pappy. And we liked it!