Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: How many ipods and MP3 players have you owned?
1 3 6.38%
2 11 23.40%
3-4 15 31.91%
5-6 9 19.15%
7-8 6 12.77%
9-10 1 2.13%
11-12 1 2.13%
More than 12 0 0%
Never owned one 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

iPod addiction

There are new iPods coming out on Wednesday and I have realized that I have an iPod addiction.

They are always so much better than the one before. Fuck. I just gathered all of mine. I have fucking six of them from the past four years, and I've had one stolen and one broken. That means eight. I've bought eight fucking iPods and I'm considering one of the souped-up cam-equipped touches with 32gig.
------------------

Here's my collection. Post yours if you want to help make me not feel so ridiculous for buying one every six months on average.

1st generation shuffle 1gig (first one, was a gift from my GF). Broke off the connector and trashed. I think she paid $100. I loved this thing. Always had it with me and played the shit out of it. I spent about $500 in the itunes store in the first six months with this thing because most of my CDs were stolen in an apt burglary about a year earlier.

Shuffle 512mb. Bought to replace the earlier one so my GF wouldn't know I broke it. about $70

IPod photo 20gig refurb. I wanted one with a screen for podcasts. (Stolen in another apt burglary). This one had the best click wheel because the center button was raised and easier to navigate without looking at it. $200

iPod video refurb 30gig (bought to replace the stolen ipod photo) $200

second generation ipod nano 2gig refurb. More pocketable and quickly became my most-used device ever. The size of the shuffle but with a screen to make podcasts possible. $100ish

fifth generation nano 16gig (new). Loved the idea of more space, fell in love with it at Best Buy. I almost never use this because I bought the touch soon after. $200.

16gig 1st gen touch (new). Amazon clearanced them for $200 last xmas because the 2nd gen was out. This is the one I carry around every day. I love the games and the organizer. $200

second generaton shuffle 2gb clip model refurb. I use the shit out of this one when cycling. The clip is better than the lanyard on the first shuffle. It's the best way to listen to shuffled music, controls clipped to shirt sleeve, weighs nothing. I couldn't resist it at the asking price and love it. $40

$1170 over four years for eight ipods (same price as 13"macbook pro). Add the $1600 for my macbook pro plus upgrades and extreme-router, and $500ish I've spent in the itunes store, Apple has about $3300 of my dollars. Damn.

If I buy the new one it will likely set me back $300. Must... resist

Edited to add: I also have a sansa clip that I never use and bought on Woot because it was only $20. I bought a CD MP3 player about ten years ago. Audible gave me a shittly useless 64mb Rio MP3 player about nine years ago that I never really ever used. that's three more, for a total of 11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipods.jpg (29.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by jeffdrafttech; 09-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I only had 4.
2G iPod nano, which I gave to my Mom after I bought my
16G iPod Touch, which I sold to my sister when I bought my
16G iPhone 3G, which I replaced after the "water incident" with
16G iPhone 3GS.

I have 5 if you include FFC's 2G nano. I still have it since our drive to NY in April. I'll get that back to you (some day).
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

momma bought pop the video ipod when it first came out...30G, black, U2's Bono on the box

and i still have it REALLY scratched up now, covered up by a toki doki casing...
but it's not enough space for my music. boo. who wants to gimme a 120G? although plenty of bugs with the newer ipods...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxymodest View Post
(30 gig is) not enough space for my music. boo. who wants to gimme a 120G?
Use a smart playlist. Choose playlist->Music and limit size to what you can dedicate to music and update by least recently played. It's like having your entire collection in whatever size you have. I have two on my 30 gig. One 10gb normal playlist of essentials, and one smart playlist of "playlist is not favorites" and "playlist is music" sorted by least recently played limited to 10gb. This leaves me 10GB for podcasts, audiobooks, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: png smart playlist.png (45.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ipod menu.jpg (27.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: png new smart playlist.png (139.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
Use a smart playlist. Choose playlist->Music and limit size to what you can dedicate to music and update by least recently played. It's like having your entire collection in whatever size you have. I have two on my 30 gig. One 10gb normal playlist of essentials, and one smart playlist of "playlist is not favorites" and "playlist is music" sorted by least recently played limited to 10gb. This leaves me 10GB for podcasts, audiobooks, etc.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh WOW thanks for that info jeff/new friend...

i meant i've got over 40G of music to cram into my 30G ipod, and til now i haven't got all the music i want on it ...sucks.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

i tired googling new ipod touch, and didnt find anything revelant. links? is it up on apples site yet or are they just rumours?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Wilkes-Barre Area, 10pts if you know where that is.
I'm only on my second one, I'd still be on my first if it hadn't fallen while I was mowing my lawn and gotten eaten up by my lawnmower. My only problem with this new one is that the volume doesn't go off completely. I can literally feel myself going deaf because of this. Oh, well.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I currently have three. A 1gig shuffle, a 30gig classic, and a 4gig nano.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
i tired googling new ipod touch, and didnt find anything revelant. links? is it up on apples site yet or are they just rumours?
Most of the gadget sites have a bunch of stuff indicating a 32gb touch with a faster processor, more ram, and a camera for $300. there are a bunch of aftermarket cases with camera holes becoming available, and spy shots that match them. the pricing is a guess based on the ZuneHD pricing. Nothing is official til Wednesday.

I probably won't buy one til I pay off my macbook, but I know I will be getting one. If they have built in mic and speakers for skype calling I may go sooner.

http://gizmodo.com/5349460/apple-its...nt-september-9
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Silicone...340084&sr=1-17

Last edited by jeffdrafttech; 09-07-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Could you post a link to one of the sites?