Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Leaving everything behind!

I am 20/M, gay

Whatevz!

I am moving out to the east coast in...20ish days (I live in wyoming). Riding a greyhound to Delaware, staying there for a few weeks with friends, and then moving up to Utica, NY to attend community college (barring I can figure out a place to live there. I was waitlisted for housing. Otherwise I am stuck in DE for a handful of months).

Just looking to see if anyone has any advice as I make this massive transition. I am pretty much shitting on my safety net, (my alcoholic cunt of a mother, who despite all her charity for me while I finish high school late, is going to prison here in a few months for her fifthish DUI) and I am pretty much scared out of my pants (in a good way) of what the future has in store for me.

Also, how do you meet new people in a scenario like this, if I don't get to go to school right away. Meeting people in High School was easy enough, we all sorta fell into little slots made just for us, but this is the real world I am running head first into, I wont have that luxury.

Also, are there any KATG peeps in Bear, DE (or any of Delaware for that matter. Its the size of the county I live in.) Or Utica NY? It would rock to hang out with some fellow fans, maybe get some beers once December passes and I turn 21.

To Life
-REX
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

As long as you have friends, you have a place to live, as long as you can carry a box, mow a lawn or clean a floor you have a way to make money. Just don't be a mooch work really hard and you'll be fine.

I lived in my best friend's garage when I moved out of my waster drunk mom's house. I tried to stay out of the way and keep busy with work and school, especially since I wasn't paying her mom rent because I couldn't afford to.

There were times when I thought I would always be a gardener/tutor/house cleaner, but I was creative with my hustle (like charging neighborhood kids and the like $15 dollars for a car trip that cost me $5 worth of gas) and I kept my nose to the grindstone at school, even when I felt like I wasn't making any progress, or that I shouldn't even be there.

I have really fond memories of that time of my life, even though I felt that I was close to the edge in every conceivable way. I knew I had good friends and opportunity, which is really all that anyone needs.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've never lived on my own. If I didn't have a husband, 2 kids, a house and business that needed me... I would totally sell everything I have and become a nomad. Enjoy your youth. Make your own decisions. Take lots of pictures. Throw caution to the wind.

Oh... and use condoms.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Marina

and DaHonay

I was having a particularly shit day, and your post just made me smile and tear up. It was what my foster-mom (not a drunk) has been trying to tell me. To dive in and let the universe catch my fall.

It's scary but I am sure I Will be alright.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEmotionX View Post
Thanks Marina

and DaHonay

I was having a particularly shit day, and your post just made me smile and tear up. It was what my foster-mom (not a drunk) has been trying to tell me. To dive in and let the universe catch my fall.

It's scary but I am sure I Will be alright.
It's the best scary there is. I know I'm not much older than you, but having struck out on my own and survived, I don't really see how life could be such a wonderful kind of scary like that again. I know I can do it now, so every massive change after that one is relatively cake. And cake is nice, but it's kind of boring.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Utica. Wow. I'm guessing MVCC? I'm guessing you didn't just throw a dart, so could I ask why you chose Utica?

I....liked.....Utica when I was up there, but I was based one county over.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

MVCC Yes. But I basically did throw a dart. I Wanted to go to school on the east coast, preferably NY. I put the names of all the schools I wouldn't mind attending in a hat. Pulled 5, applied. I Want out of this state and place THAT bad.

And I appreciate the insight Marina.