Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Long-distance relationships

I've been thinking about starting up a long-distance relationship, and with all the talk on the show lately I thought I would ask about other people's experiences, like how old were you, how far apart were you, how often did you see each other, what were your reasons for being apart, were they permanent or temporary?

I've never tried the long-distance thing, but the main problem I have with my particular case is that I don't see anyway to resolve the distance, unless one of us just ups and moves to be with the other one, in a different city, half way across the country.

Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My relationship was long distance for 1 month right at the very beginning and again for 3 months after we had been together for about 5 months.

In the beginning it wasn't that hard because we had gotten together the night before he left, so I just continued to live my regular life while he was gone and didn't really miss him or care much except that I wasn't trying to hook up with anybody.

After 5 months, being apart was pretty hard but I knew we'd see each other again in 3 months, so it was pretty okay. We talked on the phone basically every night, even if it was just to say goodnight. I don't think I could do more than 3 months though. Dr. BF and I are both really laid back people, but even with us there were misunderstandings and little bitchfests because of missed calls or whatever.

The worst part about it is not knowing what the other person is really doing.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Smile I am in a Long Distance Relationship

I am in a Long Distance relationship, in my case my Fiancée and I have been in a relationship since we were very young. We have been through most of the things that people go through in the beginning of any relationship thus makes it kinda easier for us. It's going to be a challenge. One thing I know for sure she's 2000 miles for only a few years in school. If you need someone to hang out with at least once a week, you need to rethink about that. And people really don't want to move something they are not too sure about... So think about it..
Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

It works if you work it. You gotta be ultra-available for phone time and skype time. Outta sight, outta mind, you don't want to forget about the other person. Also, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not gonna see each other very often cos waiting is a BITCH and I see my bf once a month.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Depnds on the people and if you belive in it.

I would do anything for mine and i will. from traveling through the ocean to moving. i am so deep in it i dont feel like distance is an obstacle. annoying maybe, but not an issue.

I never have felt this way, i am guarded and careful and skeptical. buty this is so intense, true, real and powerful to me that i pretty much face anything for her. i havent ever felt so sure of something in ages. it just came to me as a revelation. i knew it.

So i know i wanna make it work and she does. so it will work. i casnt see it any other way.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post

I would do anything for mine and i will. from traveling through the ocean to moving. i am so deep in it i dont feel like distance is an obstacle. annoying maybe, but not an issue.

I never have felt this way, i am guarded and careful and skeptical. buty this is so intense, true, real and powerful to me that i pretty much face anything for her. i havent ever felt so sure of something in ages. it just came to me as a revelation. i knew it.

So i know i wanna make it work and she does. so it will work. i casnt see it any other way.

<333333333333

You guys are so fucking cute.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Uh, I thought we weren't going to announce this until AFTER you move in.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was in a long-distance relationship for 1 year during college and it was the hardest thing I ever did. We were only 4 hours apart, but it was far enough and we were poor so seeing each other wasn't the easiest. We dated for almost a year before that and then he transfered to another school. I don't think I could really start a relationship long-distance unless it was serious. I also had plans to eventually move to the city where he lived, which I did, so there was a light at the end of the tunnel. That was never a guarantee though until it actually happened. It could have easily not moved, but I had to make the hard decision to move to a city where i only knew him and had no family, and just did.

The hardest part was not knowing what he was doing and also not being there for stuff. We talked on the phone all the time and saw each other about once a month, maybe every 6 weeks. It was a great when I moved there to see him all the time, and then we broke up and I was still in a city where I knew very few people and had no family anywhere close. I couldn't move at the time we broke up because I had transfered schools and wanted to finish. That was so hard and was a very bitter time in my life.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattaland View Post
Ok. well.

Josh....

I met somebody.

I love you but....

I need something more secure.

Sorry. lets stay frineds. i keep the uncle scrooge memorabilia, though.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattaland View Post
Quote:
Ok. well.

Josh....

I met somebody.

I love you but....

I need something more secure.

Sorry. lets stay frineds. i keep the uncle scrooge memorabilia, though.
Lads, is there something I need to know?