Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

movie reviews

so i don't think that there's a thread like this out here yet, so here it is. did you just go see a movie? tell everyone what you thought. i'll start.

i just went to go see "kiss kiss bang bang". it really wasn't too bad. i'd see it again. it's a comedy w/ a decent amount of action but not enough to categorize it as an action comedy like "payback" or "true lies".

be prepared to think because you can get lost from the plot fairly easily if you're expecting something brainless. i found myself trying to remember earlier scenes to catch up to what was going on.

the comedy is just so-so at the beginning, but picks up in the middle and there were several points where i found myself laughing out loud.

basically it's the story of this small time petty theft who finds himself wrapped up in a murder mystery w/ a girl that he was madly in love w/ as a kid and a private detective. as you can imagine...being a comedy...hi-jinks ensue. i won't go into any of the plot because...well...it would take a while.

i don't know if i'd go take a date to see it, just cause i don't think it's worth the 25-30 bucks...but i went by myself and have no regrets after spending about 6.50.

overall a good movie to entertain. certainly not a classic, but i'd watch it again.

oh yeah...and there's lots of titties. that's a good thing.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I saw Transamerica last night at the IFC and it was amazing. Felicity Huffman needs an award and she was nominated for the Golden Globe just the other day.

Another good one is the documentary "Boys of Baraka" a docu on boys from the inner city sent to a boarding school in Kenya so they have a shot a getting into a good High School.

As far as mainstream films Narnia didn't disappoint and I will go see Memoirs of a Geisha mostly for the costumes.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big lebowski
so i don't think that there's a thread like this out here yet, so here it is. did you just go see a movie? tell everyone what you thought. i'll start.......
That Dirty Sanchez show is fucked up... puts Jackass to shame.

Your icon reminded me of that show.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

i gotta give props to the great dr. dan for the icon idea.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Crash (2004)

This is not the same movie that KATG mentioned a while back. This is a different movie with the same name; it has Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Don Cheadle, William Fichtner, and others.

This movie provided a refreshingly honest portrayal of the human condition vis-a-vis racial and ethnic differences. Unlike most movies of this type, I found it a little more satisfying; leaving me with more than the simplistic moral conviction that 'racisim is wrong.' I suspect that many KATG listeners might appreciate the complexity with which this movie explores the issue.

If you do decide to watch it (DVD), I would recommend that you pay attention to the opening narrative by one of the main characters which occurs while the credits are rolling. His soliloquy is thoughtful and poetic and sets the pensive tone of the movie while also helping to establish a frame of reference for processing the movie. Each character and his/her relationship to the others is revealed through a series of collisions, both literally and figuratively, that occur throughout the movie. The movie slowly weaves these several seemingly unrelated vignettes into a complex whole by movie's end. Overall, serious, though I found some funny moments and one particularly 'magical' moment.

Although you have to be in the mood for this kind of movie experience, I found it well worth the effort.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSLIN
Jennifer Esposito...
mmmmmmm.....jennifer esposito....aaaaggaagghgghhhha!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

i found CRASH to be a little over the top. its on HBO atm, see it there, but i wouldnt rent/buy it. i love the director, liked majority of the actors. the commentary on the DVD was decent. overal a good movie, but every single person you see gets their own spin on racism, and they are all connected. it gets to the point where youre like "okay, this guy seems nice, he must be a real asshole, lets wait and see...yep. this guys starts off as a bastard, i bet he gets all heroic and redeeming at the end, lets see....yep. oh look, these guys actually talking about not likeing a stereotype, i bet they fit it perfectly, lets see.....yep" i dont like when i get taken out of a story and start thinking critically about a movie when im first viewing it. i think the dialogue was good, script was good, probably could have used a rewrite and a producer with bigger balls to tell him to cut back a little, or stop making the cookie cutter scenario for every character.

my 2 cents
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

i saw this movie yesterday and thought that it was way too good to pass up on telling you guys about it. actually, it wasn't all that good at all. in fact, it fucking sucked. it's a horror flick called, "satan's little helper". the dialogue is horrible, the plot has more holes in it than all of queen's streets combined, the acting is bad, and it takes place mostly in the day time. but it's one of those that you just love to make fun of while it's going, pointing out all of its short commings.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364376/

How about this instant classic peice of crap. Gary Busey turns into a serial-killing gingerbread man.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSLIN
This is not the same movie that KATG mentioned a while back. This is a different movie with the same name; it has Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Don Cheadle, William Fichtner, and others.

This movie provided a refreshingly honest portrayal of the human condition vis-a-vis racial and ethnic differences. Unlike most movies of this type, I found it a little more satisfying; leaving me with more than the simplistic moral conviction that 'racisim is wrong.' I suspect that many KATG listeners might appreciate the complexity with which this movie explores the issue.

If you do decide to watch it (DVD), I would recommend that you pay attention to the opening narrative by one of the main characters which occurs while the credits are rolling. His soliloquy is thoughtful and poetic and sets the pensive tone of the movie while also helping to establish a frame of reference for processing the movie. Each character and his/her relationship to the others is revealed through a series of collisions, both literally and figuratively, that occur throughout the movie. The movie slowly weaves these several seemingly unrelated vignettes into a complex whole by movie's end. Overall, serious, though I found some funny moments and one particularly 'magical' moment.

Although you have to be in the mood for this kind of movie experience, I found it well worth the effort.
I agree... this was a really good movie if you are in the mood for it. The one factor in the movie that made it all worth is was Sandra Bullock acting like a complete bitch through the ENTIRE MOVIE! She usually has such lovable, "girl next door" characters, so seeing her as a bitch was an interesting change of pace!