Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

My New Novel - Gifts Of The Peramangk.

Hambledown Road Imprints, in partnership with Central Avenue Publishing are pleased to announce "Gifts Of The Peramangk" by Australian author Dean Mayes will be released internationally on October 26th 2012.

Ahead of the release date, Dean has officially opened a secure on-line portal here at his official website, where readers can pre-order the novel both in signed print and digital formats. The print edition price includes shipping door to door, will be individually numbered by the author and will include a limited edition lobby card/bookmark as a keep sake.

Please refer to the left side-bar at Dean's site for purchasing options.

Readers can also pre-order the novel by forwarding a cheque or money order, made out to Dean Mayes, for the required amount (either print or digital) to:

Dean Mayes
44 Rose Street
MILE END, SA, 5031.
Australia.

For bulk orders, please contact Dean at Hambledown Road Imprints to discuss your individual requirements and shipping options.

Gifts Of The Peramangk marks the second collaboration between author Dean Mayes and Central Avenue Publishing following Dean’s highly successful 2010 debut “The Hambledown Dream”. Described as a sprawling family saga, Gifts Of The Peramangk takes place across two time periods, in the South Australian outback and the suburban fringe of Adelaide.

In 1950s Australia, during the height of the divisive White Australia Policy, Virginia, a young Aboriginal girl is taken from her home and family and put to work on an isolated, outback station, in the cruellest of conditions. Her only solace: the violin, taught to her in secret by a kind-hearted white woman - the wife of the abusive station owner. However, Virginia's prodigious musical gift cannot save her from years of hardship, abuse, and racism.

Decades later, her eight year old granddaughter, Ruby, plays the violin with a passion Virginia once possessed. Amidst abject poverty, domestic violence and social dysfunction, Ruby escapes her circumstance through her practice, with her grandmother's frail, guiding hand. Ruby’s zeal attracts the attention of an enigmatic music professor, and with his help, Ruby embarks on an incredible journey of musical discovery that will culminate in a once in a life time chance for a brighter future. But with two cultural worlds colliding, her gift and her ambition will be threatened by deeply ingrained distrust, family jealousies and tragic secrets that will define her very identity.

Once again, Dean has constructed a luminous literary novel, featuring fully realized characters, emotional and vivid story telling and a heroine who will capture your imagination from the very first page and he looks forward to sharing his new work with a wide audience. For news and updates as release day approaches, please visit Dean’s official website.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 06-30-2013 at 09:07 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Loved your first book and I'll be picking this up for sure. However, when people ask me what I am reading I will have to say, "Gifts of The Perma...gg....agaa...k".

This book is gonna feel like Chemda with all the mispronunciations
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw81 View Post
Loved your first book and I'll be picking this up for sure. However, when people ask me what I am reading I will have to say, "Gifts of The Perma...gg....agaa...k".

This book is gonna feel like Chemda with all the mispronunciations
Just think of it this way...

Pera-man-gk

kinda like Teg-asks

???
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your new novel. It's hard to write and publish one, so to do it again deserves mad kudos!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
Congrats on your new novel. It's hard to write and publish one, so to do it again deserves mad kudos!
Thank you. Yeah, I kinda kicked the shit out of myself on this one. Almost felt like it wasn't gonna happen, but my publisher rode me hard and, well...it's happening now.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

By the way...this book is a huge love letter to Keith and Chemda and the show.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guys. Thought I'd step out of the comfort zone and post a video message today. T-minus 5 days and counting down.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Props Dean, you've accomplished a huge and epic thing just getting this far. Best of luck for the launch.

Nice idea with the video promo too by the way. Have you considered making a vid (or two) with a reading (or two)? Might even be a good way to bring the world of your novel alive and convince a few peeps to come along on the journey.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah - I have actually. I did an audio book sampler for Hambledown which is still available to D/L from my site btw, but I want to try a few different things with this and video read is definitely up there.

I also wanted to try a Q and A session via Google Hangouts but I'm not quite sure how that'll go.

Thanks for your props mate.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey guys - my new novel Gifts of the Peramangk is number 10 on the following list at Goodreads

Best books of October, 2012 (67 books)

If anyone is a Goodreads member and could throw me a vote, I'd be forever greatful. Actually, I'll throw in a signed digital copy to anyone that does so and lets me know here.

Thanks in advance.