Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

From an article about myspace:
"Estimates have the company taking in $30 to $40 million in ad revenue in 2005."
So the advertising does work i guess?
It's because they have the most valuable target audience for advertisers,
ages 16 -25.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't understand it but I can tell you that I have a website with two google banner ads (one on the front page, one on the forum home page) and a google search box. My website has shit for content and I average almost $40 a month. I don't know what retards are coming to my site and clicking on the ads, but if my site sucks and I'm making a dollar a day and something like youtube gets probably more than a million hits for each one of mine, they should be raking in a pretty decent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big lebowski
my question is: how do people like myspace and youtube make any money? it can't be off of those stupid banner ads that no one clicks on. does anyone else get the feeling that we're in another "dot com" boom that's going to fade w/in the next couple of years?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send them a bill

How do Youtube/Myspace know you are the owner of the material posted on the site. As a photographer my clients can be sure that what I supply is owned by me if not they know where to send the lawyers leter. Also I was looking at Flikr last night and see the CC (creative Commons) assigned to most of the pictures, by default I presume. My guess is they want to muddy the waters.

Have these sites been tested yet? Should we all send them an invoice for publishing our music/art/pictures/writings?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hey beztheboy,

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKK YOUUUUUUU!!!

Congrats on your first post, welcome to the forums
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perclissigi
the most valuable target audience for advertisers, ages 16 -25.
I've heard often and disagree.

The 16-25 represent unrestricted spending - i.e. this is a bullshit waste of $20 (think "Little Man") or I can whine my parents into getting one cause its cool or fashionable audience.

Take show 300, for example. It seems as if most of the 16-25 year olds fans couldn't cough up $5, while the 30 year old+ fans didn't think twice.

16-25 year olds are a valuable audience for those advertisers who target them, such as the entertainment and movie industry, but not for everyone.

Disney probably spends more dollars wooing 25+ parents than kids.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights
Old 07-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beztheboy
Also I was looking at Flikr last night and see the CC (creative Commons) assigned to most of the pictures, by default I presume. My guess is they want to muddy the waters.
I CC a lot of my stuff - probably something around 95% of everything I've ever done. I don't give a fuck if you republish it elsewhere so long as you give me some credit and you're not profiting off it ('cause then I'd like a cut). I also wouldn’t mind an email letting me know you have.

I'm not a professional, but even if I were, I'd toss out stuff for others to use without a payback. Why not?

Everyone wants to protect all their content like it's worth a million dollars.

My feelings:

If you’re not an established artist currently making money off your content and as long as you receive credit / acknowledgement / link-backs - why would you care if someone takes snippets of your work and redistributes it? Snippets being samplings (say a track if you’re producing music or a post if you’re writing a blog) rather than your entire library.

And if you are an artist who earns a living off your work, why not give some stuff back to your fans for free? And yea - I spend hours photoshoping and editing and still put it out there for all to have.

Look - as long as the website isn’t monetizing what's being put out there (and that may include Google adSense - I need to think about this one) why would I care if you copy my content?

So many of us feed into the “it's my content – pay me” brainwashed mentality that’s swept modern thought.

If tomorrow mySpace wants to use my content in their international advertisement scheme and not pay me a dollar – fuck! That’s still a better offer than I’ve ever had. Gimme me acknowledgement, myspace, and go for it! How I monetize this free advertising is up to me.

To each his own. My current mode-of-thought: If I ever become a writer or artist, etc... after my death I'd make most of my stuff public-domain and leave a little for my family.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdd27
Hey beztheboy,

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKK YOUUUUUUU!!!

Congrats on your first post, welcome to the forums
It's an intesting point well made. I'll reconsider my position and get back to you.

Aye right.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

[QUOTE=william]I CC a lot of my stuff - probably something around 95% of everything I've ever done. I don't give a fuck if you republish it elsewhere so long as you give me some credit and you're not profiting off it ('cause then I'd like a cut). I also wouldnt mind an email letting me know you have.

I don't dissagree with you William.

I have worked on picture desks of several newspapers in the UK (I don't know about the US) some with larger budgets that others. At times we/I have grabbed internet images to illustrate a story. If you send in an invoice chances are you would get paid, but you would have to know, and I've never known a picture to be credited when its been grabbed from the net.

Every other day some cunt of a publisher is trying to fuck a photographer. I hate to see these no neck brain-less bastards getting away with it selling my profession short.

I'm not being a snob, good luck to every flickr photog who gets a picture published, I would like to see you get paid for it though.

I've no problem with CC it has to been a good thing for amature and student creatives my fear is it's just a free supermarket dash for the unscrupulous.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

OK, so my opinion is being swayed by all y'all actual artists who aren't bothered by all this shit. Really my only issue is that I was thinking more on the Podshow level of shiftyness. This doesn't seem as bad, especially youtube, but it is still WEIRD to me, even if it's not filled with dire consequences. The internet seems like a good way for companies to aquire intellectual property without working for it, and while that may not bother people, it reminds me of Boston Market or Earthlink getting other people to make thair ads.