Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

PEESEE
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Assholes View Post
What possible programs could you need that you don't think a Mac would have? You can even put windows on a mac...
Did not realize this. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'd go with LINUX.

Just about any and every program you'd need on windows, you can find an open source version of, and can use it FREE. Plus, Wine = win.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
I got a Macbook 3.5 yrs ago. No regrets since, it did take me a few months to make the full transition from my old Sony VAIO to the macbook.

Software wise you should be ok, Microsoft make Office for the Mac.

If you are ok with paying the premium, get the Macbook. Don't forget Apple Care. Most of my Macbook has been replaced. (Battery, HDD, RAM, Logic board, power adapter)
But since you stated that you are comfortable using Windows you might want to use the money that would go to a mid-range Macbook and get a high-end windows laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrash karlos View Post
Mac .... it's the only quality option. I have 2 PC's and 5 Macs, out of choice and genuine regard for both there is NO comparison. When PC users bang on about how Macs are expensive and no good, you can guarantee they've never used one, nor can afford one. If you can afford the extra $£, get a Mac.
It's like Ford v Ferrari, if you think the answer is Ford, you need help .......

These two posts are pretty conflicting. Never had all of the issues in the first quote on any my Windows based (PC) laptops...so for the money, I don't see the point.

I've never owned a macbook, but considered it on my recent laptop upgrade. In the end, I couldn't justify the cost for my use. My new and old laptops ran Windows 7 and Photoshop CS4 extended just fine and at half the cost of a macbook pro. If I edited a lot of video, audio...etc, things might be different.

I think it's more about personal preference. I can run snow leapord on my PC laptop via VMWare to jailbreak my iPhone when PC jailbreaks are not available...other than that, I personally do not have a use for a mac that costs twice as much as the PC that does what I need.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Are you able to keep your AV up to date, apply security updates, do you know that the IRS/Your bank/Paypal etc will not send you an e-mail saying you must update your information online to get a check they are holding for you and are you smart enough to realize that a website did not just scan your whole system for malware in 30 second and refuse to click on the Antivirus 2010 it's luring you to download.

if you answered yes to all of those get a PC
if you answered no or huh to any get a mac.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ticklah View Post
Are you able to keep your AV up to date, apply security updates, do you know that the IRS/Your bank/Paypal etc will not send you an e-mail saying you must update your information online to get a check they are holding for you and are you smart enough to realize that a website did not just scan your whole system for malware in 30 second and refuse to click on the Antivirus 2010 it's luring you to download.

if you answered yes to all of those get a PC
if you answered no or huh to any get a mac.
A Mac isn't going to protect you from being an idiot and filling in your details on a fake Paypal or bank site. It'll stop you getting most viruses and malware, but it can't everything.

Having said that, I love my iMac and cringe whenever I have to go back to the windows PC, unless its for gaming. As for what you should get, if you want the Macbook, I'd go for it cause you can put Windows on it relatively easily if you ever need to run a Windows-only program. If you have the money, go the Macbook.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn View Post
A Mac isn't going to protect you from being an idiot and filling in your details on a fake Paypal or bank site. It'll stop you getting most viruses and malware, but it can't everything.

Having said that, I love my iMac and cringe whenever I have to go back to the windows PC, unless its for gaming. As for what you should get, if you want the Macbook, I'd go for it cause you can put Windows on it relatively easily if you ever need to run a Windows-only program. If you have the money, go the Macbook.
but the commercials said...

agreed but the person who falls for the paypal/bank thing will fall for the next scam, and if that happens to be PC centric they're toast
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ticklah View Post
but the commercials said...

agreed but the person who falls for the paypal/bank thing will fall for the next scam, and if that happens to be PC centric they're toast
This is very true, good point sir.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

Get the student offer and sell the iPod touch on eBay for an additional rebate (assuming you don't need the touch).

The 10hr battery life is definitely a plus if you'll be using it for school.