Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by empathy View Post
Corriander is the name of the plant, the seeds included, in Australia (and I assume the UK). Americans call the plant Cilantro.

I LOVE Pho. I can't make it as well as the Vietnamese though, and I can't get over how expensive it is here in Australia, so I tend to just eat it in Vietnam. I love all the crazy fresh herbs that go into it. Minus that one that tastes like fish-arse.
Expensive?! I can get a Dac Biet for about 6 USD...

The website I posted earlier phofever.com has a home recipe right on the front page that looks pretty good. Once I take the crockpot back from my father I'm gonna try it out...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akai View Post
Expensive?! I can get a Dac Biet for about 6 USD...
Yeah, I guess it's about the same as Australia. When you're used to paying less than 50c (sometimes 10c!) a bowl, though, it's expensive. I know everything is more expensive here, and it's not logical, but it still pains me to spend $8 or whatever for a bowl.

I've started to grow the weird herbs (like Vietnamese Corriander and mint), because they're hard to get in non-chinatown areas. I think the herbs make all the difference.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it's about the same as Australia. When you're used to paying less than 50c (sometimes 10c!) a bowl, though, it's expensive. I know everything is more expensive here, and it's not logical, but it still pains me to spend $8 or whatever for a bowl.

I've started to grow the weird herbs (like Vietnamese Corriander and mint), because they're hard to get in non-chinatown areas. I think the herbs make all the difference.
:O wow that's fantastic! I think I'll be taking a trip...

How's your broth? Do you buy pho stock spice? Bad broth is usually a deal breaker for me, and without the signature notes of star anise and clove I feel that everything else, despite the quality, is only in vain.

That's awesome that you're into it enough to grow the herbs yourself! Very cool
Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have yet to start boiling up bones to make the stock, so yeah, I cheat and use packets of Pho stock spice, and then add extra things to it.

I used to be a vegetarian, but living and working in remote asia put an end to that. So I don't mind eating boiled bone broth. Boiling a bunch of bones for hours is still a bit too much though. One day.

You're inspiring me to make Pho now. Maybe I will.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
They call me B. Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F-ing Man View Post
Pho is the bomb nuts. I just hate when the meatballs have that nasty cartilage in it. I gotta stick with the Pho Tai at those place. Ai Hue in St. Paul, MN has the best Pho in this state
I'm the total opposite. All that softened connective tissue and tendons... Man, that's like my favorite part.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicBoy View Post
I'm the total opposite. All that softened connective tissue and tendons... Man, that's like my favorite part.
Fuck yeah! That stuff always grossed out the ex, so I was happy to eat hers, while describing exactly what it felt like in my mouth.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
Fuck yeah! That stuff always grossed out the ex, so I was happy to eat hers, while describing exactly what it felt like in my mouth.
I like just going for the fatty bowl with everything in it although lately i've been a sucker for fish balls...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Empathy is right on - I got addicted to pho living in Saigon, and the place down the alley from where I lived had best best pho for 6000 dong (which was about 50 Australian cents). It is hard to pay local Australian prices now after that - though I'm not as hung up about it and I just shell out the 8 bucks. ;-)

the challenge is finding good, authentic stuff. A few places out in Footscray do all right...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizza View Post
Empathy is right on - I got addicted to pho living in Saigon, and the place down the alley from where I lived had best best pho for 6000 dong (which was about 50 Australian cents). It is hard to pay local Australian prices now after that - though I'm not as hung up about it and I just shell out the 8 bucks. ;-)

the challenge is finding good, authentic stuff. A few places out in Footscray do all right...
Oh don't get me wrong- I do end up paying $8 for a good Pho... it just hurts a little!

My favorite Vietnamese food is ban xeo, "Vietnamese Pancakes", and I pay $14 for them in Aust!