Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree8Likes

Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #81 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleHedkvist View Post
speaking of "you can't have your cake and eat it too" the chinese version is "you can't have a fish and a bear paw" arguably even more confusing.
You can't have your cake and eat it too, but you have to spend money to make money. Wouldn't it be great if you had to eat cake to get cake?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleRot View Post
Since we've entered into the realm of the grammar nazi, does anyone else get irritated by the common misuse of the word hopefully?

When you hear/read this word, it it typically used to mean something like "I hope" or "it is to be hoped" rather than what it actually means -- an adjective meaning "in a hopeful manner."

Just sayin'...
I know this is a super old post, but just in case anybody reads it (like I have) due to the extreme inactivity of this forum, let me quote the Merriam-Webster website, which has salient points that I would call to attention:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
In the 1960s the second sense of hopefully, which dates to the early 18th century and had been in fairly widespread use since at least the 1930s, underwent a surge in popularity. A surge of criticism followed in reaction, but the criticism took no account of the grammar of adverbs. Hopefully in its second sense is a member of a class of adverbs known as disjuncts. Disjuncts serve as a means by which the author or speaker can comment directly to the reader or hearer usually on the content of the sentence to which they are attached. Many other adverbs (as interestingly, frankly, clearly, luckily, unfortunately) are similarly used; most are so ordinary as to excite no comment or interest whatsoever. The second sense of hopefully is entirely standard.
Considering if you've ever read a book not written today, you should be familiar with how old that sense of the word is, so it kind of surprises me anybody would have a problem with it in a grammar nazi sense.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #83 (permalink)

yeah, that'd be sweet
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
I didn't go back and read the whole thread but wtf is up with the saying "shit eating grin"?!?!

If I was eating shit, I sure as hell wouldn't be grinning.
I find Metafilter to be an interesting resource for information:

Etymology/definition of "shit-eating grin?" - etymology shiteatinggrin words | Ask MetaFilter

Although it doesn't give a direct answer to its source, like many, it clearly dates back to the pre 1950s era.

One that I find makes complete sense and that I quite like is "A stitch in time saves 9". And of course "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

It also doesn't hurt that I got great enjoyment of hearing Karl Pilkington try and define the meaning of each on the Ricky Gervais podcast. Seeing them animated on the HBO special was EVEN better.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #85 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

"I give a shit" to mean "I don't care". Makes more sense to say "I don't give a shit".

Not that I give a shit.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #86 (permalink)

I think it's more of a "I wouldn't even give a shit", as in something of little value. The swedish equivalent translates to "I shit on it".
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #87 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

"You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

Lies. First saw it debunked in xkcd. Then when I had a fruit fly problem, I conducted a test. Set a glass of water+vinegar and another glass of water+honey. A day later, the vinegar glass was full of dead flies and had a few sitting on the rim. The honey glass had nobody.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #88 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Adults starting sentences with "So ..." or "Okay, so ..." makes no sense.

Reminds me of when we were kids and we had to speak in front of the class and we'd always start with "Well ...". It's like a comfort blanket and adults don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleHedkvist View Post
I think it's more of a "I wouldn't even give a shit", as in something of little value. The swedish equivalent translates to "I shit on it".
Kind of. Literally giving a shit or fuck takes some amount of effort. When you say "I give a shit/fuck" you're metaphorically saying "I care enough to take the time and effort to give a shit/fuck for it". But to not even care enough to give that amount of effort is the least you can care. So "I don't give a shit/fuck" means I don't care enough to even give a shit or a fuck about it.

"Like I give a fuck" and "I don't give a fuck" mean the same thing though.

As a bunus, in KATG-ese we also have the saying "I shit on you", which makes perfect sense and is one of the greatest sayings in the English language.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #89 (permalink)

Location: Wilkes-Barre Area, 10pts if you know where that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
I didn't go back and read the whole thread but wtf is up with the saying "shit eating grin"?!?!

If I was eating shit, I sure as hell wouldn't be grinning.
I enjoy rimming, it makes me smile when I do it. Not the exact same, but .
Old 02-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #90 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
"Like I give a fuck" and "I don't give a fuck" mean the same thing though.
Now I'm no longer sure what I fear you may be confusing me with someone who gives a fuck means.