Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrucial View Post
Gotta put up this chick cuz... well there's gotta be a cool girl in the mix:

O_O so awesome
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Kaki King. Shes got the same last name, King, but they aren't related. She'd not as good as Justin but it's great to even watch IMO. Keep up the amazingness thread. I miss playing.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
So much talent, so disheartening...heh...
I'm amazed you know who he was so someone must heard of him. Blows my mind. At least some of us have.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Kaki King. Shes got the same last name, King, but they aren't related. She'd not as good as Justin but it's great to even watch IMO. Keep up the amazingness thread. I miss playing.

I love her, she is such a good player!

Will do, I waste away the hours of the morning on youtube heh.
Quote:
I'm amazed you know who he was so someone must heard of him. Blows my mind. At least some of us have.
Justin King was my inspiration to start playing. I'm not even a fraction of his level, but I enjoy the gitbox all the same. His album Le Bleu was really good, and the song he sang on "Ashes" I loved.

SO More craziness

All of their songs are insane, so I'd recommend buying the album, but here are Rodrigo y Gabriela
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Paco de Lucia is another inspiration, I love flamenco guitar, and he is the master of it. Entre Dos Aguas is a great album, and the title track of it was used a lot in the movie Vicky Cristina Barcelona ^_^

Richard Galliano is also awesome, Beirut made me get an accordion (and a uke and start again on piano ), but this guy makes me want to throw it out the window since I'll never come close to his level.

Speaking of awesome, Andrew Bird comes to mind. He was trained since he was 4 in the Suzuki Method in violin. His album Music Of Hair really shows his musical prowess, and all of his other ones assure you that he is truly a prodigy. Oh, a side note is that he's classically trained in whistling o_O it's really really incredible how beautiful his whistling is. This video kind of encompasses each facet of his abilities, but look into more stuff by him if you haven't already.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

I like the Justin King stuff... thanks for bringing him to my attention.

I posted this a while back on one of the music threads... it's Alain Caron, a jazz-rock fusion bassist from Montreal. Fast-forward to the 4 minute, 30 second mark. Two minutes later, he's still getting more complicated with it!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

I came across Don Ross many years back - similar to Justin King but a little less intense.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akai View Post
I love her, she is such a good player!

Will do, I waste away the hours of the morning on youtube heh.

Justin King was my inspiration to start playing. I'm not even a fraction of his level, but I enjoy the gitbox all the same. His album Le Bleu was really good, and the song he sang on "Ashes" I loved.

SO More craziness

All of their songs are insane, so I'd recommend buying the album, but here are Rodrigo y Gabriela
I've seen these guy live and its a trip! There are people in suits next to headbangers, like acoustic metal.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
I've seen these guy live and its a trip! There are people in suits next to headbangers, like acoustic metal.
Ah! I know that's why i'd love to go to one of their shows, they draw such a varied crowd! Their story is really interesting as well, Started out as Metal guitarists living in Mexico City, and ended up Flamenco players living in Dublin o_O

So, although a few people may not like it, this is pretty impressive in my opinion. The punk band Black Flag's album Damaged is an awesome piece of work, finding it's way onto Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time. Twenty Six years later Dave Longstreth of The Dirty Projectors rewrote and re-imagined most of this album into a very different animal, naming it Rise Above. Even more impressive still is that he supposedly had not listened to the album in 15 years, yet still he paid respect to Black Flag's Damaged. Here are two songs, the original and the spun, and you can judge as to whether Longstreth is a gifted visionary, or a hipster poser.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bithead View Post
I like the Justin King stuff... thanks for bringing him to my attention.

I posted this a while back on one of the music threads... it's Alain Caron, a jazz-rock fusion bassist from Montreal. Fast-forward to the 4 minute, 30 second mark. Two minutes later, he's still getting more complicated with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bithead View Post
I came across Don Ross many years back - similar to Justin King but a little less intense.
I love Jazz Bassists, always interesting and insanely talented, thanks for the post Also Don Ross, I like him a lot, that intricate fingerpicking style is something I'm always gonna envy heh