Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Puttin in my 2 weeks

Ahhh. So I've decided I'm not cut out to be answering phones from 8-5, so I'm puttin in my 2 weeks today. My question is, how important is it to stay a loyal employee for these 2 weeks?

I've only been here about a month, and I'm pretty certain I won't be taking any references with me, but I'm curious if future potential employers have a way of checking my prior work history when I go to apply.

I'm planning on calling out for a few days, but not if it's gonna hurt me in the future. Thanks for any info.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on who you're working for.

First of all, don't assume you'll be working the full two weeks. The first time I gave my two weeks, they ceased to schedule me at the end of the first week. Fuckers. If you have sick time, use it. You can't take it with you. Vacation time, you might get paid for, but seeing you only have a bit of time, this doesn't apply.

You may not be taking any references, but your future employer still might call your present. If you call out, and don't have sick time, it's an unexcused absence, and attendance is something they can ask about. If you have perfect attendance so far, you can get away with calling out maybe once. Any more than twice, and they'll cut you altogether.

Moral of the story: Be careful. They can still influence your future employment. Take a day off if you like, but don't go any further than that.

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillie73
Ahhh. So I've decided I'm not cut out to be answering phones from 8-5, so I'm puttin in my 2 weeks today. My question is, how important is it to stay a loyal employee for these 2 weeks?

I've only been here about a month, and I'm pretty certain I won't be taking any references with me, but I'm curious if future potential employers have a way of checking my prior work history when I go to apply.

I'm planning on calling out for a few days, but not if it's gonna hurt me in the future. Thanks for any info.
be a man and finish the two weeks, the whole two weeks. youll feel better about yourself, its the adult business way to handle things. it speaks volumes about your character. a new potential boss is always happy to hear you dont walk out on a job you dont like, even if its a shitty no pay job you just started. at some point in life, you have to decide what your character is worth, if it worth selling yourself out for relief from a job you dont like a few days sooner, than your character has a pretty low price.(i wont fuck anyone over for a penny less than a million bucks, and as i make more money, im sure that price will go up. when i get to where i wont fuck anyone over for anything, i might run for office)

when i moved from pensacola to savannah, i simply transferred from one pizza hut to one in savannah. after a month of being their top driver, i realized Papa Johns was doing 4 times the business, so i went to them to see about getting a job. the store manager, Heath Hardee, an awesome guy that soon became a good friend, had heard about me, and wanted me to start that night. he assured me i would make about 3 times the money i was making at the other store. i told him no and finished out my two weeks makin less money. i got alot of respect for that, and even the regional guy that ran all the PJs in two states started personally calling on me in a pinch because he knew no matter what, i wouldnt leave him twisting in the wind. i won the 500 bucks for my ipod playing cards one night at his house (thanks richard, and your daughter is hot), and got turned on to KATG because of it.

moral of the story, do the right thing, the responsible thing, and it will pay in the long run. you give 2 weeks when you quit, you work the two weeks. if they want to cut you sooner, they will.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Word. How important is it to list this employer on future resumes? Besides the slim chance I can figure out a way to list this job's duties as desireable to a new employer, I'm not sure how lasting 1 month at a job will look to future bosses.

I do have 2 other part time jobs, so it won't look like I was unemployed for that month.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

It depends on your work history. If you need that month for experience, then yes, put it on your resum. Right now, I'm working in the Administrative field as a temp, and any permanent jobs require years of experience. Every month counts, and only those that are working in that field count.

Spooky's right, though. Be a man and finish your two weeks. When I mention only taking off one day at max, I don't mean to actually take it. If you finish your job strong, you won't mind putting one month on your application. They'll call and find out you had a great attendance and didn't cut out early. Your current boss will be more likely to give a positive reference than a neutral-positive reference (by that, I mean giving a "good" reference, but it's obvious in the tone of voice that it wasn't THAT great). I worked at a job for two months, and they gave me a letter of recommendation. I'm still not sure why they let me go, but even in that short time, I impressed the General Manager (He might be a flaming queer, but a reference is a reference).

Those two months put me over 2 years of pure Administrative experience. With that, I could start seeking permanent positions. Of course, now that I graduated, I don't need that as much, but experience is experience.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Word. How important is it to list this employer on future resumes? Besides the slim chance I can figure out a way to list this job's duties as desireable to a new employer, I'm not sure how lasting 1 month at a job will look to future bosses.

I do have 2 other part time jobs, so it won't look like I was unemployed for that month.
I wouldn't list this on a resume, unless it's at an impressive place (my wife used to work for the Chamber of Commerce, which pays crap, but was a great stepping stone for everyone. No one stayed more than a year except the stupid ones (my wife included)).

As for behaviour in the last two weeks, eh, I'd be nice, but because I'm a nice guy. However, in the last two days I might do, uh, no work.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I actually just talked to my supervisor about 15 minutes ago. She pretty much offered me a promotion as I was walking out the door, but the fact remains that this type of work is far off track from what I wanted to get into after college -- promotions & marketing, etc.

My other jobs are definitely more related to my field and I have over a year and a half in direct radio promotions, so I'd be surprised if a month of answering phone calls would do much for any future employers.

I got a phone call this morning for an interview for a full time promotions assistant at a local radio station, so I'm wondering if they'll even need to know I worked here.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks guys. I actually just talked to my supervisor about 15 minutes ago. She pretty much offered me a promotion as I was walking out the door, but the fact remains that this type of work is far off track from what I wanted to get into after college -- promotions & marketing, etc.

My other jobs are definitely more related to my field and I have over a year and a half in direct radio promotions, so I'd be surprised if a month of answering phone calls would do much for any future employers.

I got a phone call this morning for an interview for a full time promotions assistant at a local radio station, so I'm wondering if they'll even need to know I worked here.
Are you interested in your boss's job at the marketing place? It sounds like a high turnover place. If you like what the others are doing, you might want to stick around.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah was actually my plan.. to stick this crap out and move up the chain, but the chain looks long and the positions along the way aren't much better.

I'm basically stuck with customer service positions if I stay here. My next step up would be a lot more responsibility and dealing with all the trouble calls. After talking to people who have been here for a while -- who were unable to move to other positions in the company despite being qualified, and learning that the higher positions didn't pay much more than this entry level one, I decided it wasn't worth wasting my time.

I'm worried about getting stuck in a routine I can't get out of and ending up like the old fogies here who have been answering phones their whole lives.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

just leave the last day on a good note, "fuck you...fuck you...fuck you...you're cool...fuck you...i'm out!"