Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Ratings vs. Popularity

I was listening to the PCH guy rant on about how many people listen to D&D and Madge, and it made me think (something I don't do often). Who the fuck cares how many people listen to them on Sirius? There are 100 times more people that will go see Little Man than a good movie without all the CGI crap and canned jokes. Does that make Little Man better? Besides being #1 in the ratings, KATG has become an instant cult classic-a bit out of the mainstream with a rabidly loyal following. The other week and I was in a bookstore and they had a Buffy the Vampire Slayer magazine. The fucking show has been off the air for at least a couple of years, and they are still selling shit. Buffy, Star Trek, Rocky Horror and KATG are all cut from the same mold. I will predict that in ten years, there will be kids yelling 'Brumski" and getting expelled from school for Happy Slapping, all courtesy of KATG
Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not to mention that being on Sirius doesn't count towards your ratings as a podcast (in my opinion, anyways). Sirius is radio. If your podcast is on Sirius, then by definition, it's not a podcast.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germuhknee
Not to mention that being on Sirius doesn't count towards your ratings as a podcast (in my opinion, anyways). Sirius is radio. If your podcast is on Sirius, then by definition, it's not a podcast.
Curry is a douche, but a smart douche. As of this moment, there is no real big money in podcasting, but satellite radio is another story, although that well might be drying up. XM and Sirius have been throwing down sick cash to try to find the next 'big' hit. I think Curry is using Podshow as a minor league for his Sirius channel.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
So if KatG obtained a Sirius contract, yet still had their show available to download like they do now, then it wouldn't be a podcast anymore? I don't buy that logic. A podcast is still a podcast if it's used for other purposes.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoe
So if KatG obtained a Sirius contract, yet still had their show available to download like they do now, then it wouldn't be a podcast anymore? I don't buy that logic. A podcast is still a podcast if it's used for other purposes.
I don't agree with you for a couple of reasons:

KATG doesn't have a set time.

you have to download the show instead of turn on the radio

XM and Sirius are still governed in some part by the FCC due to the satellites
Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather
I don't agree with you for a couple of reasons:

KATG doesn't have a set time.

you have to download the show instead of turn on the radio

XM and Sirius are still governed in some part by the FCC due to the satellites
What the hell does that have to do with what I said? My point is that a podcast is a podcast even if it's later aired on Sirius.

Germuhknee says a podcast is no longer a podcast once the show is played on satellite radio. If I can still download the show from iTunes the same day it airs on Sirius, it's still a podcast.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
What the hell does that have to do with what I said? My point is that a podcast is a podcast even if it's later aired on Sirius.

Germuhknee says a podcast is no longer a podcast once the show is played on satellite radio. If I can still download the show from iTunes the same day it airs on Sirius, it's still a podcast.
whoa, hold the horses. i am not attacking you, just disagreeing. if someone makes a show specifically for radio, it isn't really a podcast. a podcast is designed to be downloaded, but played over the air, at least that is my opinion.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather
whoa, hold the horses. i am not attacking you, just disagreeing. if someone makes a show specifically for radio, it isn't really a podcast. a podcast is designed to be downloaded, but played over the air, at least that is my opinion.
And that's exactly what I said. I know you're not attacking me. Germuhknee is the one saying if a show is made as a podcast, and it gets aired by someone else on Sirius, it's no longer a podcast, which is ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
And that's exactly what I said. I know you're not attacking me. Germuhknee is the one saying if a show is made as a podcast, and it gets aired by someone else on Sirius, it's no longer a podcast, which is ridiculous.
Woah there, rein 'em in again, stjoe. Of course you are right that a podcast does not magically transmogrify (love that word) and become a radio show. What I meant was that the podcast is no longer a podcast for ratings calculation purposes.

IMHO, the ratings that a podcast that is broadcast on radio receives should not count when trying to determine the relative popularity of a podcast. When you listen to a podcast, you are making a conscious decision to listen to that show. This is sometimes the case with radio, but often you listen to a show just because it happens to be on, i.e., it is served to you rather than having been requested by you. Otherwise, podcasts like PCH and D&D would actually be able to justify their claims to being more popular than KATG.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Woah there, rein 'em in again, stjoe. Of course you are right that a podcast does not magically transmogrify (love that word) and become a radio show. What I meant was that the podcast is no longer a podcast for ratings calculation purposes.

IMHO, the ratings that a podcast that is broadcast on radio receives should not count when trying to determine the relative popularity of a podcast. When you listen to a podcast, you are making a conscious decision to listen to that show. This is sometimes the case with radio, but often you listen to a show just because it happens to be on, i.e., it is served to you rather than having been requested by you. Otherwise, podcasts like PCH and D&D would actually be able to justify their claims to being more popular than KATG.
That, I agree with. And I was getting frustrated because what I wrote was not being read and just random bullshit was being written in reply.