Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Raw food diet

Has anyone tried this? I find myself very addicted to processed foods and fast food. I think refined sugar is one of the worst culprits. I hope maybe a week of all raw foods will maybe help some how I think I'll be doing a lot of green smoothies on this diet but i've already got some good recipes down on that one. Has anyone done anything like this around here? is it even worth it? Will it kill me? Is canned tuna raw?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by better dylan View Post
Has anyone tried this? I find myself very addicted to processed foods and fast food. I think refined sugar is one of the worst culprits. I hope maybe a week of all raw foods will maybe help some how I think I'll be doing a lot of green smoothies on this diet but i've already got some good recipes down on that one. Has anyone done anything like this around here? is it even worth it? Will it kill me? Is canned tuna raw?
What do you hope to achieve by doing this?

Canned tuna is not raw.

Supplemental question: Do you hate yourself?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Never considered it. How would you get brotein? Wiki says eggs, but I'd be weary of salmonella. Plus I read cooking eggs significantly improves the protein uptake (and makes them not taste like jizzsnot).

Is organic cheesecake a raw food?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Never considered it. How would you get brotein? Wiki says eggs, but I'd be weary of salmonella. Plus I read cooking eggs significantly improves the protein uptake (and makes them not taste like jizzsnot).

Is organic cheesecake a raw food?
nuts and beans
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I try to find the most proteiny ones when I shop, but even still: nuts are primarily fat, and beans are primarily carbs. I guess there are studies in favor of low-protein diets not performed by ethical vegans, but I just follow what's been working.

If you think it'll help to set you on a healthy path, just make sure you don't go from fast food to military-strict raw diet, then back to junk food.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

My sister tried this and swore by it while she was on it, but after about 2 weeks she's back to eating normally because it's just far too strict to stick to for long periods of time for most people. She suffered from swollen ankles and high blood pressure and both dissapeared on raw food so I guess it's pretty good.

In the long-term you might just want to try making your meals from scratch so you know exactly what's in them and it'll probably taste better anyway.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy1e View Post
My sister tried this and swore by it while she was on it, but after about 2 weeks she's back to eating normally because it's just far too strict to stick to for long periods of time for most people. She suffered from swollen ankles and high blood pressure and both dissapeared on raw food so I guess it's pretty good.

In the long-term you might just want to try making your meals from scratch so you know exactly what's in them and it'll probably taste better anyway.
That story about your sister is pretty much correlation not causation. If your sister went from unrestricted diet to any sort of controlled diet her ailments would have vanished regardless. Raw food is a no miracle. In fact most vegetables contain various poisons in their raw state.

Spinach, chard, parsley, chives, purslane and beet greens all contain oxalic acid which is a nutrient blocker. Even though spinach, for example, does contain large amounts of iron the oxalic acid in spinach prevents you from digesting the iron. Cooking the spinach destroys oxalic acid.

Arugula, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, turnip, collard greens, bok choy, brussels sprouts, radish, rutabaga, and watercress all contain goitrogens. These are substances that disrupt the thyroid glands and such disruption eventually causes goiters. These vegetables need to be cooked to eliminate the goitrogens.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Besides just restricting your diet, placebo is a big effect. I prefer to utilize it with stuff that actually have some scientific/empirical backing though.

Swolen ankles may just have healed on their own. Last week I bruised my thumb. Had a chocolate eclair over the weekend and guess what, no more bruised thumb!

I don't think high blood pressure is something that goes away in two weeks of anything.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

In my opinion 1 week of suddently super healthy will not help with much. it's like girls going on a crash diet: you set yourself up for failure.
If you don't like processed food start with something manageable like switching a meal for a salad, less soda, always choosing a vegetable as a side dish (French fries dont count).

Get used to it and over time I think you can train yourself to prefer healthier food.
I just came back from KATGweek and oh my did I eat unhealthy but that's ok because everybody should be allowed to eat 4am greasy pizza after a party and burgers with fries on vacation.

Last edited by Lanfear; 04-23-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

You guys are right, she does have this knack for hyping things up. I still think making your own meals, however tedious it may seem, is the way to go whenever possible. I highly recommend Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book for beginners.