Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree50Likes

Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Serial

Just binge listened to the 12 episodes. A fascinating examination of a case that remains a real mystery, all these years later.

What did you think of it?
Piscean, campy and ImStillToni like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

There's a sale at the Shrimp Shack

Dean! So happy someone finally posted about serial here lol

I binge listened to eps 1-8, then marathoned all of the remaining including finale over the past week Saturday. I found it brilliant really and was easily taken in with Sarah's narrative, Adnan's interviews, sketchy as all hell Jay, that friggin Nisha call LMAO I could go on and on. I still go back and forth over whether I believe Adnan is innocent or if he is a straight up sociopath considering how he held it together for 15+ years so to speak. I think thats a testament to how SK presented the material, I personally found myself because persuaded by things I found more opinion than fact, and vice versa

2 things! 1) have u seen the interview Hae did on the day she dies in pretty much the same clothing (her field hockey uniform)? It is so freakishly erie and sad to realize what the hell you are watching for a second. 2) Did you see/hear about the Serial spoof on this past SNL? Hands down the best parody of Serial and it is hilarious

Cannot wait for season 2 - I'm in!
Tattoo #146, put some respect on my name!
#FuckToni, Show 1992: Comedy Outlaws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The thing is, Toni happens to be absolutely batshit.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Likewise! I find myself questioning Adnan's account myself, but I am convinced that Jay is a rolled gold shit head who is hiding a lot more than he has said publicly via the podcast or in the recordings they presented of him. That guy is seriously bent.

There is so much in the narrative that leads me to believe that the jury couldn't have found him guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Something is seriously wrong with many aspects of the State's case against him.

I have heard about the SNL skit but I haven't seen it.

Serial was brilliant.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 12-25-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I rank Serial # 3 behind KATG and This American life. GREAT podcast.....I was in on the first week and couldn't wait for the next episode. I believe Adnon, I did from day one. I never believed Jay and thought he did it or knew who did. I was glad the BF finally chimed in non the very last episode. He made me a little iffy on my Adnon is innocent stance because of how he reacted to the news compared to Adnon. Fantastic series, can't wait. For season 2
Old 12-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

It will be interesting to see if the Innocence Project are successful in having the DNA samples, that were taken at the time of the murder tested. I read yesterday that their petition to have the samples examined is going to take around five months to progress through the court system. It boggles my mind that they were never tested in the first instance.

The emergence of Ronald Lee Moore as a possible suspect in the days since the last episode of the podcast is an interesting development. I am inclined to wonder whether this "Jay" had more to do with him than we know.

I also feel somewhat suspicious of the boyfriend, Don. He was said to have been working the day Hae Lee disappeared and he had an alibi - only, that alibi was his Mum. That was "interesting".

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 12-25-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I will post those links shortly. And did you know not only did Don work for his mother but his dad was on the friggin police force? Talk about some airtight alibis!

No matter what, i cannot understand how that flimsy case was enough to convict. I really think Jay knows more than he's admitting and the way his deal was cut was so suspect, i cannot understand how an accomplice to murder walked away like that. Hearing the jurors biases was terrifying. Im glad IP is on the case, very interested in who's DNA it is, is Mr S invovled, was it jay/don/adnan or a 3rd party completely (im thinking a higher level dealer that could scare both jay and adnan), and really is they sentenced this kid to jail on some bullshit.

Other than KATG, hands down Serial is utterly entertaining and captivating. Was pleasantly surprised considering I'm not a huge fan of NPR or TAL, but this podcast was very well written and produced.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

wow. Nice thread! I saw this pod on Slate's top 25. Was going to listen eventually, saw this and just listened to 1st ep.

Love true crime and this story goes from guy sounds innocent to guilty back to innocent and then the possibility of him being a crazed Muslim to a sweat heart guy to handsome jock player...

I don't get how some gal remembers seeing Adnon at a library, but then changed her story.

Getting annoyed at narrator saying Hay a million times, but this pod is a page turner of a story.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

The appeal of Sarah Koenig for me, is in the way she narrates. It's conversational rather than rigidly formal and her expressions of emotion at different points - notably exasperation, confoundment - make it an organic listening experience that is really unique.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

KATGuh for gayest thread of 2014
campy and Rufio like this.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
The appeal of Sarah Koenig for me, is in the way she narrates. It's conversational rather than rigidly formal and her expressions of emotion at different points - notably exasperation, confoundment - make it an organic listening experience that is really unique.
Perfectly put, Dean. A+

Now. Can we all agree that she refers to Hailey, (ad nauseam) as Hay - wayyy too much? It's shows a familiarity with the character and story, (that is commendable) but simultaneously annoying as fuck.