Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: SnapChat and Skype: Are They the Same Thing?
NO 19 61.29%
yes 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree8Likes

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Are SnapChat and Skype the Same Thing?

The latest poll Who is Right concerning SnapChat: Keith or Chemda has taken this fan through stages of: absolute knowing, confusion, indecisiveness, and finally WTF-ness.

There's only one way to settle a poll. That answer is...another goddamn poll.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

The more I think about it. I've never even used SnapChat or Skype. I mean, SnapChat is a thing people way younger than me use for chat. Skype is apparently a thing podcasters use for sexual relations via the internets with fans in such faraway places as Ireland...

You know what. Fuck it. My brain hurts. Here's my thoughts:

1. Never put your junk on the internet.

2. Keith was 100% correct in asserting that of course something like SnapChat is not to be trusted. Especially considering all the celeb nude pics stolen from supposedly protected phones lately.

3. Chemda made a powerful argument about Keith's actions with Skype. He is a hypocrite, in a sense. He also seems to take a Bill O'Reilly-esque approach to 'debating.' This is where you ask a question. Then proceed to shout down your opponent. As a total shithead, personally, it's a great tactic. And I use it often. I think you could possibly lose a co-host if you did it all day/ every day. It also contributed to many not hearing Chemda's points.

4. Ultimately, I have to say these two technologies are separate things. I don't know much about them, but I'm going with different. THEY HAVE TO BE. Otherwise there'd be a law suit. I mean, they both use the internet. They both are for communication. Only SnapChat promised NO TRACE and is the whole reason for discussion, therefore, my vote. NO.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went with same because although their purpose is different, they can both be hacked.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
I went with same because although their purpose is different, they can both be hacked.
So, by your basement dwelling logic, Snapchat is the same as Citibank and the US Electrical Grid?

I'll be careful next time I flash my cock at the ATM or stick it in an electrical outlet.
Bucho likes this.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
Yeah. Ok. That's basically the Chemda argument. I can see why people are going that route. I think it's two completely different formats, but honestly I'm just guessing. I've never actually used them.

Now I'm beginning to think that people are like me in that they've never actually used either of these services. This is yet another problem with the poll. How do we solve this..?

You guessed it. Another poll.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

One, presumably, saves a picture of you, uploads it to a server, and then pushes the file to other devices. It exists in multiple places.

The other is a peer to peer connection of live video. With possibly an exchange through a server somewhere, but likely does not save the video stream as it passes through. It only exists at the two endpoints.

The only way you'd be able to collect Skype video chats is if you intercepted the stream while it was in progress. Snapchat however clearly has multiple points where you'd be able to access the files.

So are the two the same, sure, insofar as they use the internet.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That's my pal, picard! Back just in time to save the day.

I forgive you for talking shit about me to McNally. You just wanted to keep your friend. I would never do something like that, but you were weak. I get it. Forgiven.
Bucho likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Keith, you didn't even know the difference between the two programs while discussing it on the show. Otherwise you would've had a starting point for your argument. You never admit when Chemda has you in a conundrum.

And you still texted nude photos of yourself, which can be stored in multiple places. Stop being ridiculous.

picard is assuming a lot of things. It's not terribly difficult to intercept or hack into any of these programs.

(Also, your comment about me on the show was funny. You've agreed and "liked" my posts in the past, and I've agreed with some of your opinions.)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Every dog has her day.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
picard is assuming a lot of things. It's not terribly difficult to intercept or hack into any of these programs.

Anywhere I made assumptions, it is based of a working knowledge of the principals involved in the function of both apps.

But just to bring the point home, Skype has repeatedly said that they do not monitor or record voice/video chats, and only act as the connection node. To intercept a Skype call, you would need to have access to the network of one of the end users. It's not something that could be mined as with the Fappening/Snappening.
Bucho and Enunciated Piffle like this.