Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Some damage control by US forces

"A little smoke screen to calm tensions"

Hundreds of prisoners released

New claims against US troops
Iraq to release 2 500 prisoners
Iraqi cops find severed heads
Gunmen kidnap 50 in Iraq

Baghdad - Some clutching the Koran and kissing the ground, the first batch of a planned mass release of 2 500 prisoners walked free in Iraq on Wednesday as part of efforts to heal sectarian wounds and defuse an insurgency.

Vice president Tareq al-Hashemi, a Sunni Arab leader, said a total of 562 detainees had been let out from "US occupation prisons", a day after new Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced the move to help foster national reconciliation.

It was one of the biggest such releases of prisoners held in Iraqi or American jails since US-led forces invaded the country three years ago to topple Saddam Hussein.

Sunni rebellion

Many of those in detention - estimated at more than 28 000 - are believed to be held on suspicion of involvement in a Sunni rebellion against the US-backed, Shi'ite-led government.

The move by Maliki also appeared to be an attempt to shore up his own authority at a time when rivalries within his ruling Shi'ite Alliance have cast doubt over his effectiveness.

Looking exhausted, some of about 100 let free in Baghdad told of how they had spent months - sometimes more than a year - in jail without being formally charged.

"I was detained for almost seven months because the US military accused me of launching rockets at their forces," said Sunni Arab tribal leader Ra'ad Talal Hikmat from the western desert province of Anbar, a rebel stronghold.

"We suffered from bad food and illness," he added.

Many not formally charged

Three buses brought the prisoners to Baghdad's main bus station under US and Iraqi security. As they stepped out, some wept while others smiled and waved at waiting families.

"I spent 16 months in jail without any specific reason. They only questioned me once, accusing me of funding terrorism," said Youssef Khidr, 38, adding he had been arrested by Iraqi forces and then handed over to the US-run Abu Ghraib prison.

Maliki, under intense pressure to end violence, said on Tuesday that the prisoner release would free those who had no clear evidence against them or had been detained mistakenly.

But "Saddam loyalists" or "terrorists" would stay in jail.

It was not clear how many of those to be released were in Iraqi custody and how many were held by the US military.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh yeah, you're that guy who hates America.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

NO, I do not hate America. I think America is one of the biggest success stories of recent time.

On the other hand, the covert tentacles of the US into the rest of the world is what saddens me.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigDeal
NO, I do not hate America. I think America is one of the biggest success stories of recent time.

On the other hand, the covert tentacles of the US into the rest of the world is what saddens me.
It's called..........Damning with faint praise

so....what Ooda said.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahfingway
It's called..........Damning with faint praise

so....what Ooda said.
"You are either with us or you are against us..."
George W. Bush. Press conference, with President Jacques Chirac of France. (November 6, 2001)

I see you share the sentiments of your dear president. Should I stand up and applaud?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

more of an open-faced flame sandwich.

Also, not what noah or ooda said.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
George W. Bush. Press conference, with President Jacques Chirac of France. (November 6, 2001)

I see you share the sentiments of your dear president. Should I stand up and applaud?
wow, so you were FOR Chirac, then? i think that pretty much ruins any credibility you may have had up to this point.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Balls to you for bringing up that stuff on this forum.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

No need for applause....I too disagree with our president on many things...

I'd put it more like...You are either with us or you are more than likely against us....
It is not a categorical imperative that we agree on every policy.

I'd like to quote Nick Postagulous here.....
Quote:
Hey, I heard that the US had a mean army. Hey, I heard that gay people wanna get married. Look, it's God.

Why do we (meaning you, plural) constantly masturbate on these subjects that, honestly, we barely care about, and are definately not well informed on.

I like reading the forums. But, uh, where's the funny?
from this thread http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...ead.php?t=3087

Have a day
Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Conspiracy theorists have too much free time on their hands and give the "government" too much credit