Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Saw this over the weekend, pretty good, don't see any real reason to watch it again though.

Couple problems that I was thinking of:
Why is the spinning dradle totem thing necessary, if "willing" it to spin indefinetely tells you you're in a dream cause you can defy physics, why don't you just fly or something more simple, and I don't mean jump off a building, just hover or some shit. The loaded die and the rug make more since.
Why is Cobb the only one that can bring in his own projections to other people's dreams. I guess is mind is 50 yrs older then other people's, but if I was getting shot at, and I know I'm in a dream, why doesn't my own personal army of Rambo's come busting thru a wall to defend me.
Prefacing with "I might be completely wrong about the matter"...

I agree with you, but I think Nolan spackled over that potential plot hole with Juno's line about "what an elegant solution".

I haven't thought about the movie in a while, but I think the other totems work the way they do because the bearers aren't architects?

After getting lost in a Salvia haze a few times, I doubt how effective totems are anyways. I can imagine a state of mind where I would accept that tops spin forever in 'reality' and fall over in dream states.

Don't do drugs, yo.

You're also right about the personal army thing, but I think the train was representative of Cobb's unrestrained subconscious. Plus, the whole point of entering the shared-dream is to be sneaky, and 'changing things' alerts the host's subconscious and triggers the stabby shitstorms.

I like this movie because talking about it hurts my little brain.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
This is awesome, but almost too geeky for me.

Btw, 'roob, do you reddit?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #73 (permalink)

This is fantastic and so very spoilery:

I NEED THIS ON BLURAY.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #74 (permalink)

Woah.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Woah.

Ad that to why not only is Chris Nolan probably a Hitchcock level genius, but Hanz Zimmer is about as good a film composer as Ennio Morricone.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #76 (permalink)

Nolan's own notes:

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
Ad that to why not only is Chris Nolan probably a Hitchcock level genius, but Hanz Zimmer is about as good a film composer as Ennio Morricone.
Ehh...
Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
I was possibly the last person on Earth to see this but I loved every second. Gotta love a blockbuster of this scale that is not only bursting with ideas but is also about the power of them.

Oh and BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Nope, I think that may have been me, actually.

But yeah, that was amazing. What I was really struck with is how, if you want, the movie still completely works as a standard sci-fi action/heist flick without looking too deep into it, and it's very entertaining--but, if you want to look deeper into it, there seems to be evidence for any sort of theory you can think up, and it still works. That's the sign of a great movie, where it balances the entertainment and the art aspects that well.

Quote:
Just saw it a second time and after hammering vague half sentences of what I felt was going on into google, I found this guy put it far better than I could.
That does seem like a really good explanation--the whole "telling reality through film-making" really makes sense, since that does seem to be Nolan's MO when he's not doing the Batman movies. The Prestige was an extended metaphor for film-making using the idea of watching a magic trick. Memento also has a lot to do with figuring out what's your memory, and Nolan used the film's narrative structure to mess with your head there. Now he's doing it with dreams and labyrinths.

It also makes me really curious to see what Nolan's next original movie will be. I'm still pretty psyched for Dark Knight Rises, but I don't think even TDK, which did have some interesting themes outside of the superhero action and pure fucking tension, had this level of discussion and thought that poured out of it.