Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Stand-Up 101

So I've been thinking about trying out stand-up. I looked around a bit, and couldn't find a specific thread for it so here goes.

I've fantasized about doing stand-up for a while. I love making my friends laugh, but have never really had a joke-telling persona. I'm more situationally funny with good timing, but telling longer anecdotes was never my strength. I'm trying to change that by coming up material for a short 5 minute routine at a nearby open mic.

My biggest hurdle is getting over my fear of public speaking, but I was in a bunch of plays in high school/college so I know I can get over it. I'm also petrified of totally bombing...

So I decided to come here in the hopes of getting some advice. Are there any books you all recommend? There are a lot out there, but I don't know which is worth any shits. Any tips for my first open mic? Practices you use to generate material, or methods you employ to memorize your routine?

Also, who do you listen to for inspiration? If it matters, a few of my favorites are Bill Hicks, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, David Cross....etc. I listen to a lot, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
(Offline)  
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quit being a fagool, and do it. You have one week.
(Offline)  
Closed Thread