Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree20Likes

Old 11-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

It was suggested I make this a separate post- Employment woes

Hi all,

It was suggested I make this a separate talk Shite post, so here we go.

I started a job late spring, and though I had some yellow flags, I thought I could manage. It's pretty much been 6 months of constant anxiety tension pain, and recently I realized I'd rather be quarantined for 2 months with Ebola than go back to the office. Last night I sent an email to my boss saying that I was concerned about my fit in the office, which she ignored all day. When I came in this morning, I felt there was a 50 percent chance I either quit or was fired. Well, its 40 minutes till the end of the day, time has not been made for me to express my concerns, and so as soon as my boss's meeting is over I'm handing them my termination letter. I don't have anything else lined up yet, it I have confidence now that the future uncertianity is better than how shitty I feel constantly. In addition, my husband basically came to me yesterday and said "you're a withdrawn person since you started this job and we all want you to quit and worry about figuring it out later". I put my heart into this job, answering emails at parties, responding to updates within 10 minutes of my alarm going off, bending over backwards, but I just do not feel that the culture of this office is one where I can succeed.

Quitting a job for cause and not for another opportunity is the scariest decision I've ever made as an adult. But I know if I don't know, in 6 months I'll just be even more upset and pissed at myself.

Please send #thoughts&prayers
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

So I guess the best possible outcome happened. I gave them indefinite notice to get this project finished and she gave me indefinite time to stay and find another position. How'd that happen?
Keith and Bucho like this.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

APIA, WAKE UP!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lol sorry for the delay in further backstory, it was a crazy day.

Well, at the risk of doxing myself, it was a tiny office with strong personalities and I came in at a time when a lot of employees were in flux with their schedule and involvement with the company and even my boss was like "yeah this was kind of an impossible position for you to walk into". Basically I am "not a good fit for the office" and I felt that showed in every single interaction they had towards me. I constantly felt like I was becoming a withdrawn, defensive, paranoid person, which is not who I am.
Keith, Bucho and Apia like this.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I've done this before (kinda).

I was hired as a graphic designer for a fortune 500 publishing company in 2007...
then 2008 happened. The economy crashed and the company was scrambling big time. They cut our benefits, gave us short work weeks with no pay on Fridays, and then the lay-offs started. I actually survived pretty long because I was hired straight out of college and the weren't paying me shit compared to the people that had been there 20+ years. I was MISERABLE.

I went to art school to be an artist, not a corporate drone. In the beginning, when we were busy all the time, it was manageable, but towards the end I HATED it. I couldn't stand the hours, the office, the cubicle, the people, the work, I hated it all. I was a sucky person to be around and the thought of quitting came to mind often. What would happen if I just quit a job with good benefits to go back to freelancing and bartending though? It scared the shit out of me.

Then one day, it happened. My boss summoned me into her office and told me, "We are not eliminating you, we are eliminating your position." I could stay on with the company and they would teach me how to me a part of the accounting department doing data entry. My decision was made in that moment. I knew it was their way of not laying me off so I wouldn't get severance pay (and I didn't) but I skipped out of her office and gave my 2 weeks notice at the end of the day.

Now, almost 6 years later I haven't regretted that decision for one second. I never belonged in a cube. And even though I traded my corporate paycheck for a non-profit job and I still have to sling booze a couple nights a week, I'm HAPPY.

You can't put a price on that shit, girl. You're doing the right thing and you'll figure it out. Good luck! <3
Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know I have no control over this, but I kindly request this not be read (or at least not be read verbatim with my handle on air) in the off chance someone I know can connect the dots in a way that blows back on me.

Thanks for years of virtual support!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

With peace and love who cares.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Eh they're offering to be a reference so, maybe?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Ten Years

I’ve done nearly ten years in a job that I knew was wrong for me in the first week. Strap on your trainers and run out the door, you’ll find another job.

Shhhh don’t tell anyone but I’m off out of here after Christmas.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I am going to call out LoopyLou to her bosses, however.