Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: Are you a annoying teenybopper?
I don't give a fuck about Twilight 23 35.94%
not a teen, but i like Twilight 15 23.44%
a teen, I like Twilight 1 1.56%
a teen, I don't give a fuck about it 5 7.81%
Twilight can fucking burn in hell 20 31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Twilight people...

well are you?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Wilkes-Barre Area, 10pts if you know where that is.
I don't feel like I can fully judge People who read and like Twilight, because I'm a Harry Potter Fan, and I know there are people out there who dispise Harry Potter. That being said, I hate it because it's all about the love story. Harry potter was at least about something important, saving the entire unsanitary Wizarding World. That's atleast a cause I can get behind.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Twilight falls into the "so bad it's good" category. It's a complete and utter piece of shit, but I will never stop watching it and making fun of it. It's on my shelf next to "Grease 2" and "Earth Girls are Easy."

In comparing it to Harry Potter, I don't compare in terms of story because I think HP would blow it away. Rowling created a world that is so real for these characters, and Meyer didn't. The HP books are so well written that they will last much longer than the Twilight books will. The hardest thing any writer has to do is create a reality that the audience will believe. When the audience no longer believes the world you have created, the story is lost. That's my experience with Meyer, and I never thought that with Harry Potter.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is sooo off-topic, but to insert my sluuuurpiness, I think that (not on the same level) what Rowling did (commonly referred to as Potterverse) is slightly comparable to Tolkien's creation of Middle Earth. Not only did this encompass all that is Lord of the Rings, but he made it his life's work to not only create a world for his characters, but to create intricate histories, countries, social and economic flows, and a LANGUAGE. He invented a fucking language.

A lot of people are turned off of reading his works, because they tend to be dry and a bit windy, but if you look at the man from a creative standpoint, he's a genius. Or insane.

That said, I'm also a huge fan of HP. Rowling, however, has been built up so much throughout the series, that people lose sight of what the books started out as: Children's books, written at a child's level. That doesn't detract from the writing style for me, however. The impressive thing that can be seen in Rowling's writing is the abundance of understated detail. She makes several offhand mentions to things that simply seem to be put there to enhance a scene, then later come into play in a large way in the story. She quite literally has touched children in every country with her writing, and, I'm sure, has inspired tonnes of children to read, which is amazing.

/end
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
The impressive thing that can be seen in Rowling's writing is the abundance of understated detail. She makes several offhand mentions to things that simply seem to be put there to enhance a scene, then later come into play in a large way in the story.
Rowling definitely seemed to write everything in all of its detail before she actually sat down to write the dialog and narrative. That's what I mean by the reality being a big strength for her and not for Meyer. Meyer admitted she wrote Twilight without having thoughts of where it would go until it was proposed that she write more. Unfortunately it's obvious because there are so many missed opportunities to enhance the story and so many places where the story just does not run smoothly.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
This is sooo off-topic, but to insert my sluuuurpiness, I think that (not on the same level) what Rowling did (commonly referred to as Potterverse) is slightly comparable to Tolkien's creation of Middle Earth. Not only did this encompass all that is Lord of the Rings, but he made it his life's work to not only create a world for his characters, but to create intricate histories, countries, social and economic flows, and a LANGUAGE. He invented a fucking language.

A lot of people are turned off of reading his works, because they tend to be dry and a bit windy, but if you look at the man from a creative standpoint, he's a genius. Or insane.

That said, I'm also a huge fan of HP. Rowling, however, has been built up so much throughout the series, that people lose sight of what the books started out as: Children's books, written at a child's level. That doesn't detract from the writing style for me, however. The impressive thing that can be seen in Rowling's writing is the abundance of understated detail. She makes several offhand mentions to things that simply seem to be put there to enhance a scene, then later come into play in a large way in the story. She quite literally has touched children in every country with her writing, and, I'm sure, has inspired tonnes of children to read, which is amazing.

/end

hmmm so have you seen the movie or read the books?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

hmmm so have you seen the movie or read the books?
You KNOW I haven't. >: (

I'mma kick you in the face.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like Twilight.....but the Sookie Stackhouse Series (series that the show True Blood is based off of) is 894909321244094874823 times better.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fuck Vampires.

I did like the pale skin when I watched part of the movie. I only made it to the gay baseball scene.

I guess that they get together, they fuck, the have a mutant baby right? New Moon - so werewolves will be apart of it I guess.

I'm not the target audience, but I do own American Girl movies, so I'm down for some cheesy fun, but twilight was just too cheesy.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Wilkes-Barre Area, 10pts if you know where that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-LOX View Post
I do own American Girl movies, so I'm down for some cheesy fun, but twilight was just too cheesy.
If you enjoy cheesey fun, Watch the Bratz Movie. There's a deaf guy who can read lips without looking at people and The brown girl's stunt double is obviously white. Lolz!