Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: 18-25 year olds: do you have a job?
I'm under 18 2 2.41%
I'm 18-25 and employed at a living wage (enough to survive, not enough for an iphone plan) or more 18 21.69%
I'm 18-25 and I have a job but it is only part time or pays so badly that I can't survive on it 15 18.07%
I'm 18-25 and unemployed 22 26.51%
I'm over 25 26 31.33%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Under 25 and unemployed?

I read somewhere (and I can't find it now) yesterday that the unemployment rate for kids under 25 is over 20%. That seems a bit backward, because kids can do physical jobs that older people can't, and can generally survive on less without the negative stigma that older people worry about.

I'm curious if this number holds true here.

Poll posted. Don't worry, I'll make it private if you're worried about people knowing that you don't have a gig.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I started working when I was 14, and I've only ever been unemployed for about 3 months when I was 15.

I'm 24 now, I turn 25 in Jan, and I'm making a good amount of money for someone my age. Enough for an blackberry plan, and to pay off my student loans, but not enough for a new car.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unhappy

Read a great article on Huffington Post yesterday about this. It says that only 46% of 16-24 year olds are employed right now. That is the lowest rate since records on jobs have been kept.

Recession Creating A Lost Generation; Young People Can't Find Jobs

I'm 21 and in college. I've been working since I was 15 and never had a problem finding a job until now. This summer was horrible because jobs that are usually given to college students (mainly office and restaurant jobs) are given to older people who lost their "real" jobs and have kids to feed. It's super shitty. I'm graduating soon and I'm terrified that I'll have to wait tables for years while waiting for a "big girl" job to open up.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelBachael View Post
I'm graduating soon and I'm terrified that I'll have to wait tables for years while waiting for a "big girl" job to open up.
I've got a job for you, big girl, RIGHT HERE!

I'm <25, student, unemployed.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
That seems a bit backward, because kids can do physical jobs that older people can't, and can generally survive on less without the negative stigma that older people worry about.
I guess it depends on what you mean by physical jobs. I don't know anyone my age interested in manual labour blue collar type jobs. Nor do I think they would consider it unless it was a last resort. Maybe it's because I live in a city now. Most people I grew up with in a small town are in service or white collar jobs though, so I can't see that being the overriding factor.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How are the numbers added? I had a job that paid $14.50/hr, so I guess you could call that living. However, since I started school, I don't have time to work, so I guess you could call me unemployed. I'm unemployed by choice though because school takes up all my time. Kids under 25? Does that assume out of high school? I'm guessing just about 100% of 8 year olds are unemployed.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also read that there are a lot of unfilled positions, 40% of which pay $60,000 or more. Nobody wants to risk training anyone. If you're not an expert in whatever business they do, they don't even answer your pleas for employment. And since you're unemployed, you can't spend 2-4 years retraining yourself for a fancy job.
At least that's my experience.

Someone I know went to their 5 year high school reunion and just about everyone was still living/had to move back home because they couldn't find a job, or their job didn't pay enough.

Depressing.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post

Someone I know went to their 5 year high school reunion and just about everyone was still living/had to move back home because they couldn't find a job, or their job didn't pay enough.

Depressing.
Who goes to a 5 year reunion? That's just silly. That's assuming going to a four year Uni, then maybe out for a year? pfft.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I NEED A JOB SO BAD.

i applied for almost ten last week and have yet to hear back.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had an awesome state job for almost a year making minimum wage right out of high school and it was going great. My supervisors basically told me they were hiring me for sure and sending me to school for training. Then the office was downsized twice, the budget shrunk, the big boss was forced to retire basically, 1 employee disappeared (don't know if she quit or got placed in another building but it was secret O_O) they couldn't afford to renew a contracted worker and I'm unemployed. Perfect timing recession! XD

I'm not the smartest person on Earth so it's kind of hard to bounce back with just my High School diploma, this job was sort of my golden ticket. I'll find something soon hopefully though, my own space would be awesome.... I got through with unemployment so I'm not SUPER broke but with the minimum wage salary I was on, unemployment isn't much. It is something though so I'm not complaining at all! I'm 20 btw, I expected to be the youngest when they called me for the unemployment meeting or what ever it's called but there was a few people I met between 20-22. I really feel bad for the collage grads that can't find a job, they seem sooooo fucking down! Cheer up dudes it'll get better! I hope....

I'm sorry for typing so much. I have way to much free time and no one to yap to, not even a dog lol. I should use this time to learn tings....