Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: 18-25 year olds: do you have a job?
I'm under 18 2 2.41%
I'm 18-25 and employed at a living wage (enough to survive, not enough for an iphone plan) or more 18 21.69%
I'm 18-25 and I have a job but it is only part time or pays so badly that I can't survive on it 15 18.07%
I'm 18-25 and unemployed 22 26.51%
I'm over 25 26 31.33%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
The smarter you are, the more you have to do and the more shit you get.

I knew a couple people who didn't have to work at all and got doctors to say they were "stressed", stupid, or got pregnant. They got an apartment paid for, had expensive cable, cell phone plans they didn't use, health care, pets, got cheap or free food and even threw some out (which infuriated me), had money left over to smoke and/or drink and do other drugs... There have even been multiple arrests and they're getting money from the city because the big bad police weren't nice enough to them.

It doesn't pay to work hard in this world.
I work in housing right now, which means my rent comes out of my paycheck. Because my hourly is so low, the rent consumes about 80% of my check because my company still deducts market rate and not a discounted rate. It is what it is. For me, I feel like this is the means I have to live in, and I do not qualify for housing assistance. Also, housing assistance for my county no longer accepts new applicants since the waiting list currently exceeds three years. Since this is my means, savings for a rainy day just isn't happening. If I have a rainy day, I am fucked, but at least I still have the roof over my head. I do not have respect for people who play the system, play victim, and sue everyone to get an income instead of working for what you have. I would rather live within my means than play victim all my life. There will be a better way for me one day, but for now, this is it. I don't feel sorry for myself, but it's not where I want to be, either.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Good call. I'm a Bruce Williams fan, and I originally did hear him on AM radio back in the mid 90s. He's why I discard the sports section of the paper and for years, had subscriptions to Fortune and Forbes.

Bruce Williams is on iTunes now. Been listening to him 3 hours a day for 14 years, I believe. Longest running radio show on the planet. No shortage of critical thinking, financial problem solving, and just about anything he feels like talking about.

Yes, I believe he votes republican on most federal issues, but he has actually held office(unlike any of the loud mouth, no experience political nuts like Limbaugh, O'Reilley, Beck or Ingraham), he's also not anti democrat, anti Obama, or anti anything, really. His radio show does wander into politics now and again, but it's not a political show, he has no agenda.

Check him out, you may like him.

something to ponder from Bruce:

Can you imagine working for this Company?
The Company has a little over 500 employees.
26 have been accused of spousal abuse.
7 Have been arrested for fraud.
19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
3 have been arrested for assault.
71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit.
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
21 are current defendants in lawsuits. 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving.
Can you guess which organization this is?

It is the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group that perpetually cranks out hundreds upon hundreds of new laws designed to keep the rest of us in line
I used to listen to that show occasionally when it was on here, and have read his book "In Business For Yourself"
I didn't know he was podcasting, I'll have to check it out.

I just found it quite comical how you piped up like you did.

Also, it's absurd to expect someone making 19k/yr to squirrel anything away. That is a very minimal amount to make ends meet (trust me, that's about what I made ten years ago and it's nearly impossible to make ends meet, even in the midwest living with my ex girlfriend)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #43 (permalink)

17 of 51 18-25 year olds on this forum are employed at a living wage. That means two thirds are unemployed or under-employed. Wow. Worse than I expected
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
I used to listen to that show occasionally when it was on here, and have read his book "In Business For Yourself"
I didn't know he was podcasting, I'll have to check it out.

I just found it quite comical how you piped up like you did.

Also, it's absurd to expect someone making 19k/yr to squirrel anything away. That is a very minimal amount to make ends meet (trust me, that's about what I made ten years ago and it's nearly impossible to make ends meet, even in the midwest living with my ex girlfriend)
Throughout the whole convo, I assumed spooky meant that you take the situation you're in now, with your current job and obligations, and you should be able to work additional 10 hours somewhere and just put that money away. That's why he brought up the fact that people spend over 5 hours/day on average doing leisure activities.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
17 of 51 18-25 year olds on this forum are employed at a living wage. That means two thirds are unemployed or under-employed. Wow. Worse than I expected
Well, lots of people in college work for $10/hr or less and don't put in enough time to earn a full living. This group probably constitutes some portion of the 34 unemployed/underemployed, but they don't really contribute to the indication of this recession's severity.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Well, lots of people in college work for $10/hr or less and don't put in enough time to earn a full living. This group probably constitutes some portion of the 34 unemployed/underemployed, but they don't really contribute to the indication of this recession's severity.
yea, I fucked up by leaving out "full time student" as an option. I made a new poll for all ages that includes this option (shrugface)

67% is still shockingly high, even if half of them are students