Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
It doesn't say this either. Considering the proliferation of human omnivores on this planet and the fact that vegetarians are a small minority of the human race, it would be impossible to have a smarter vegetarian for every person eating meat. If anything, the averages skew the numbers in the vegetarians' favor because there is a smaller sample size, making it possible for a few big smarties to swing the curve in one direction, an opportunity meat eaters don't have.

Also, since you specifically referenced Blitzgal and yourself, are you saying you specifically have an IQ of 131?
first of all.. in a study of thousands and thousands of people, I doubt "a few smarties" would swing much of anything.

Second, don't pick at the technicalities of what I said.. I wasn't setting up a mathematical equation with a one-to-one mapping.. and I wasn't trying to hint at my exact IQ, I was trying to explain something to a meat eater... I over-simplified because I was trying to keep it easy to understand. Way to go cubby, now you've confused the omnivores. For the record, my IQ is much higher.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by be leaves
Don't point out what I said that was stupid!1!11
Okie Dokie.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't say veggies have an IQ of 105, that's an average, and if you were 5 IQ points higher, you'd understand the concept of averages.. which means that for every meat eater (that's you) there's a vegetarian (that's me) with an IQ five points higher than yours.

Your title was "Vegetarians are smarter than YOU." I was merely pointing out that you're wrong. And I think the study's findings are specious, anyway. What about veganism would make them dumber? They also do not consume animal products, just like vegetarians. If anything, they're ballsier about it because you have vegetarians eating dairy, eggs, and fish and still claiming that makes them vegetarian. By those rules I'm pretty much a vegetarian because my animal consumption is mostly composed of dairy and fish. Hell, by those rules bears are vegetarians.

specious /
–adjective 1. apparently good or right though lacking real merit; superficially pleasing or plausible: specious arguments.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 12-15-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

I got you all beat...by a lot.

<Omnivore>
Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

lol.. y'all are some touchy bastards...

stupid... but touchy.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Point number two: Corellation does not equal causality.

The fact that this study surveyed children and their IQ scores and then then found which children became vegetarians later in life suggests that the title of this thread is misleading at best; the title shoudl read: "Smart people are more inclined to be vegetarians."

The fact that they only took the childhood IQ scores of the subjects of this study implies that the researchers were looking for this type of result. Had they wanted to know if vegetarianism causes increased intelligence they would have researched the subjects' IQs at 30. I'm not saying that this is the point you're making, but your posts/demeanor seem to imply it.

Smart people are more inclined to become vegetarians, proabably because they can see the benefits of a vegetarian society for both the economical and ecological reasons, but that should not be a surprise, anymore than saying that environmentally-conscious people are more inclined to drive hybrid cars.

To sum up: if you meet a vegetarian, there is a small chance that he/she is marginally more intelligent than the meat eater across the street

"Cubby is an idiot. Just look at his old posts.... Idiot. Always quoting me and fucking up the meaning..." ~ Keith

Last edited by Cubby; 12-15-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Smart people are more inclined to become vegetarians, proabably because they can see the benefits of a vegetarian society for both the economical and ecological reasons, but that should not be a surprise, anymore than saying that environmentally-conscious people are more inclined to drive hybrid cars.

The only thing I don't get about that (and the above sentiment seems to be the findings of the researchers, as well) is that within this mindset, vegans should NOT be dumber. I think by and large the interpretations of the study's findings are meaningless.

I don't mean my responses to sound like rants. The issue doesn't anger me, I just love to argue about it.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal
They also do not consume animal products, just like vegetarians. If anything, they're ballsier about it because you have vegetarians eating dairy, eggs, and fish and still claiming that makes them vegetarian. By those rules I'm pretty much a vegetarian because my animal consumption is mostly composed of dairy and fish. Hell, by those rules bears are vegetarians.
Like any subculture there are lots of different types...

I think I figured it out, in the study/poll any dipshit that said they were vegetarian, but said they ate fish was classified as a meat-eater and promptly helped to drop the average score for meat-eaters

I believe Kurt said it best, "It's ok to eat fish, cause they don't have any feelings."
Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not a surprise. That's the point. Hello?

Quote:
To sum up: if you meet a vegetarian, there is a small chance that he/she is marginally more intelligent than the meat eater across the street
How do you know there's only "a small chance?" There could be a HUGE chance.. this study doesn't address that... you're just making assumptions.

The title and my posts were not meant to be taken too seriously.. I was being controversial and funny for my own amusment... it's a fairly obvious conclusion that most meat eaters just don't want to hear, and it's made even more awesome by the fact that it's so easy to misinterpret and abuse to imply that all vegetarians are infinitely better than all meat eaters.. which is just funny.
"The internet will eat you." - patrice (ep 539 1:49:04)

Last edited by be leaves; 12-15-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
it's a fairly obvious conclusion that most meat eaters just don't want to hear,

See above definition: "specious"

I think you'll see that most irritation at vegetarians stems from the fact that so many of you are snotty little fucks.