Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Visiting NYC and need suggestions

I'll be in NYC(staying in Park Slope Brooklyn) from 8/30-9/10 and I need some recommendations for things to do and places to eat. We'll be at The Electric Zoo for labor day weekend but anything going on during the night after that would be great. I'm going with my girlfriend and our budget is kind of tight(both in mid 20's).

We like parks, museums, stand up comedy and things that's our "off the beaten path".

As far as restaurants go my girlfriend really likes pizza and traditional Italian and Asian food. I'm pretty much open to anything but a good Greek or Middle Eastern place would be awesome. Also, any bars that are a bit unique but can still get an affordable drink would be great. I've looked up some places online but I would love to hear some first hand reviews.

Thanks guys!

Any KATGers going to the Zoo?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pat Dixon's (Nearly) Naked Lady Hour: Now with Bacon Bar | The Creek and The Cave

I would love to go to the Zoo but I don't have any friends that are into EDM. You going for all 3 days?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't usually go to the city, but that one time I did, I visited some Chelsea galleries and they were dece imo.

There's also the Troll Museum if you have $3000.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rather than provide food recommendations, I'll give you places to avoid.

Crif Dog - You wanna pay $6 for a regular fuckin' hotdog with shitty toppings on it? Be my guest. Seriously, it's just a hot dog.

5 Napkin Burger - There are better burgers in the city for less money

Momofuku Milk Bar - Did you know people actually pay money for cereal infused milk? They don't even get the cereal!

Here's a fun activity you can do with your girlfriend: Go to Brick Lane Curry House and eat the world's spiciest curry (as featured on an episode of Man vs Food). I tried it but couldn't finish.
http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/01/th...-v-food-video/

Last edited by Astigos; 08-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
Pat Dixon's (Nearly) Naked Lady Hour: Now with Bacon Bar | The Creek and The Cave

I would love to go to the Zoo but I don't have any friends that are into EDM. You going for all 3 days?
yeah man. we'll be there. you should go! great trance line up this year.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just to clear things up. I've been to NYC a few times and have done most of the touristy things. Just looking for some cool spots to go to. Thanks for the feedback though. Going to see Jfod on the 6th!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

You are coming to my part of town...google any of these places with "Brooklyn" for addresses etc.

Alchemy - bar good happy hour, great food

Campo de' Fiori - Italian, resonably priced lunch specials, closed Mondays

High Dive - good bar, look for bald dude behind the bar his name is Corey and he gives good drink

Talde - If you want to have a more pricey meal have it here

The Monro - newly in love with this place, awesome Happy Hour great bartenders and Walkers crisps

Luke's Lobster truck - typically on President and 7th ave

Butterlane - if you want a cupcake and want to skip hunting for it in Manhattan

5th ave is chock full of vintage shopping if that's your thing from 1st up to about St.Marks

Fuck Central Park, Prospect Park was made by the same dude and he called it his finest work...Just avoid it and Grand Army Plaza on Monday the carribbean labor day parade descends on it.

If you see me stumbling towards Hungry Ghost in leggings with a hole in the knee mumbling about coffee ...be kind I am not awake yet.

Twitters

"Be gone, back to the cave from which you came." -Abs

"No, you can't go. He's a pederast."- Nick Postagulous
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I listened to the live stream of EZoo yesterday around 4pm on XM radio and holy fuckin fuck that shit sounds soooooo good. I hate myself for not going.

Downloading Netsky and Hardwell's sets right now. I plan on listening to every set I can find as consolation.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not sure what sets are out there but if you find Umek, Paco Osuna, Wolfgang Gartner or Claude Von Stroke's I would check those out for sure. Umek was probably my favorite set of the festival.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Been listening to nearly every set I can find. So far the best I've heard have been Netsky, Knife Party, Martin Solveig, Axwell, and Tiesto (even though I could only find have of Tiesto's set).

Netsky is a sleeper hit. Never heard of him before EZoo but that guy is going places. Amazing.