Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #3571 (permalink)

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Direct 2 Drive's last week of sales is up. It's separated into three regions, but you can buy from any of them. Currency conversion fun!

Highlights:

Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $34.95/£22.92.

Titan Quest bundle for £2.50. One for Diablo fans.

Civ IV complete (includes Colonization) for 4,95 Euros/£4.30

AI War Fleet Command + Zenith Remnant Bundle £6.50

Full list here: UK/US/Yurp
The SavyGamer guys went through the deals and spotted some more good ones.

Cogs £3.37 interesting puzzle game that refuses to run on my computer.

Defense Grid: The Awakening £2.99 tower defense, arguably the best of the bunch

Mirror's Edge £3.95 looks lovely on the pc with Physx

Pirates! £2.50 (!)

Last edited by standardman; 05-05-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: !
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #3572 (permalink)

You can buy Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition + Tales of Monkey Island direct from Telltale for $19.95. Why wouldn't you?

If you already own Tales, you can get Secret of Monkey Island for $9.95 at the same link. Ends on the 7th.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #3573 (permalink)

GOD OF WAR 3!!!
SO FUCKING GOOD
but my roommate is the one who owned it, and now that the school year is over, we've both gone back home and now I can't finish it! FUUUU

I've also been playing Bad Company 2 and MAG
I don't really like Bad Company 2 all that much on multiplayer...I prefer the COD games.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #3574 (permalink)

Mirror's Edge makes me feel like throwing up after about 10 minutes of playing. Cool game otherwise, but that's kind of a dealbreaker...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #3575 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post
Mirror's Edge makes me feel like throwing up after about 10 minutes of playing. Cool game otherwise, but that's kind of a dealbreaker...
I had a friend who used to love first person shooters then he suddenly got motion sick when playing them. This happened in 2004, the year Half-Life 2 came out - harsh.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #3576 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post
i dindt get motion sickness but on some levels i had the dizzyness i get when i have fear of heights.

It could've been that constant tension the game put me into, too...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #3577 (permalink)

Finally let myself spend some money on games (haven't bought any since L4D2) and I got FF13. only played for about two hours but I love it so far. All that hype about the gameplay looking like cutscenes wasn't far off, it's fucking beautiful! The camera's pissed me off a couple of times so far though..
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #3578 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

After much pondering and criticizing i borrowed (euphemism with took without permission from a buddy) a copy of the new Splinter Cell.

I havent gone far enough to review it seriously (and i'm not sure i will), but a couple of things are already evident:

-the whole look of the game has been thouroughly "modernized", in a very next-gen way. That means everything is very shiny and pretty, there's alot of lighting play and if you have a less than stellar computer (oh, sure, you all have consoles) the game will run NOT smoothly

-Michael Ironside still plays Sam Fisher, and he embodies the character as usual. The series is cool mostly because Fisher is a badass, this time he's also way more angry and unhinged (which isnt necessarily good). But the fact that an old man is voicing a character that still barely looks in his forties sounds VERY weird.

-The gameplay has been simplified on that post Modern Warfare, way. Where you had to litterally fight your way through a level in the past episodes, here you can pull multiple target executions, and finding hiding spots is merely a question of pushing a button after the other. Weird if you think that even the old SC tutorials were gorgeously tight. This time you pretty much can let the game be stealthy for you.

-Some scenes are eerily "cinematic". Which means mostly scripted. Interrogating a suspect, which could have been a great opportunity, is bvasically reduced to pushing a button and staring at the following cool cinematic cutscene. Ah jeez.

There's still great ideas (Like the way flashbacks are handled, projected into the game like shattered movies on walls), but everything looks so simple. It was a stealth game, now it's the quintessential dumbed down actioneer.

Again, it's a 1st impression.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #3579 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
After much pondering and criticizing i borrowed (euphemism with took without permission from a buddy) a copy of the new Splinter Cell.

I havent gone far enough to review it seriously (and i'm not sure i will), but a couple of things are already evident:

-the whole look of the game has been thouroughly "modernized", in a very next-gen way. That means everything is very shiny and pretty, there's alot of lighting play and if you have a less than stellar computer (oh, sure, you all have consoles) the game will run NOT smoothly

-Michael Ironside still plays Sam Fisher, and he embodies the character as usual. The series is cool mostly because Fisher is a badass, this time he's also way more angry and unhinged (which isnt necessarily good). But the fact that an old man is voicing a character that still barely looks in his forties sounds VERY weird.

-The gameplay has been simplified on that post Modern Warfare, way. Where you had to litterally fight your way through a level in the past episodes, here you can pull multiple target executions, and finding hiding spots is merely a question of pushing a button after the other. Weird if you think that even the old SC tutorials were gorgeously tight. This time you pretty much can let the game be stealthy for you.

-Some scenes are eerily "cinematic". Which means mostly scripted. Interrogating a suspect, which could have been a great opportunity, is bvasically reduced to pushing a button and staring at the following cool cinematic cutscene. Ah jeez.

There's still great ideas (Like the way flashbacks are handled, projected into the game like shattered movies on walls), but everything looks so simple. It was a stealth game, now it's the quintessential dumbed down actioneer.

Again, it's a 1st impression.
I loved the original couple of Splinter Cell games. I also feel that things slipped a bit for Double Agent, but that's another discussion. So when I saw a wicked looking new SC, I thought, whoa this is badass!

Played the demo and watched some other video online, and.... I think that's enough for me. You mention some good points Junk. By nature video games instruct the player to press buttons in order to see something cool happen. However, I'd prefer to think more and press more buttons than what's necessary in Conviction. Cool scenes, but very little effort. I'll pass on this one.

Go Canada!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #3580 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I never got to try firefight because I came to the game late and there's no matchmaking. I like the first few seasons of RvB (even got a DVD) but not seen much else.
I was the same way until about 2 months ago I had a sudden curiosity about what happened to RvB. What they've achieved is quite stunning. Checking out the last three seasons (which are called Reconstruction, Recreation and now Revelations) could be worth your time. Also, it's one of the very, very few grass-roots built internet phenoms with a community and level of success that actually eclipses KATG's. Pretty much every video game ad you've seen on TV for the last 3 or 4 years was made by those guys.

As for Mirror's Edge, luckily I never experienced any motion sickness or the like. That game was so close to touching greatness but just misses. It feels a little incomplete, and was overly linear for a concept that screams for some open world freedom, even within a specific point-point objective. Hopefully there's enough interest in a sequel to make it happen.

I also came into ODST late, but luckily so did a good friend and we were playing a ton of 2 player firefight, it's awesome, but it needs matchmaking. (The thought of trying to do it with random typical Halo players is kind of a nightmare for me though- it requires actual co-operation, an use of a headset, which I rarely use on matchmaking.)
How's Invasion Mode on Halo Reach? I've been out of town for two days so I haven't had a chance to give it a go.

Last edited by basserino; 05-09-2010 at 01:37 AM.