Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: What should I do now?
Confront her about what was said...sober 19 73.08%
Ignore everything and carry on like nothing was said, we were drunk after all. 4 15.38%
Email her how i'm feeling..I can be drunk for this one 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

What should I do now?

Last weekend my sister in law, in a drunken state, had a horrible screaming fight with me, also in a drunken state, about my parents, my childhood, how I was treated special compared to my brother (one of three) who was scarred by his upbringing. My dad was not always father of the year.

I had a MAJOR problem with her ravings, major...I am having a very hard time getting over this exchange. I don't know what to do now. We have always gotten along, I still like her, love my brother, love their kids but this has raked up some pretty resentful feelings. She ruined my night and weekend and I haven't been able to stop dwelling on it since.

What should I do now to repair the relationship?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Thank you! THis is great advice, especially the cooling off point. I thought about telling my brother, her husband, and letting him know how I felt about her comments that I felt were poisonous to any healthy relationship he or their kids might have with my parents.

I feel like maybe it would just be brushed off because of the booze thing and i'm afraid to throw this at his feet. It really would put him in the middle between me, his wife and our folks. I don't know....

Maybe my other SIL, she is level headed, knows my whole family...has had battles with my dad...

I wish I could just forget it but it was so toxic, it was a relationship changing conversation....

Thanks for the advice
Old 11-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Things from different perspectives.

I agree with Slampokes, take time and chill.
My brother, sister and I have different ideas of what our childhood was like. Our Father was not a saint but my siblings hero worship him. I remember a different story, more absences and passive agressive silences.
I'm the oldest kid, is your brother the oldest too?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

take a chill pill
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

She's a sister in law? How the fuck does she know about your bro's upbringing? This actually sounds like your brother's a little whiny pussy ass bitch who keeps lamenting about his past to his wife, so one drunken night she finally couldn't handle the secrets and broke down.

Seems like brother's the root of this one.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Write it out!

Write her a letter that you know you'll never send. Tell her off completely. Don't hold back. Then throw it out.

Wait a couple days and try to write a letter that you WOULD SEND her.

Don't send it

Wait a couple of days a write a new one. This one will be more calm. Try to keep your language about how YOU felt and not about what SHE did or does.

For example: I felt like I was losing a friend
Instead of: you were so mean

People don't respond well to accusations.

Wait a couple days after writing the last letter and see if you like it then

It's so devastating to fight with family. It can be life altering. Take a breath. Keep perspective.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Oh and distroy all letters you don't send. It does you no good to hold on to it and someone will find it and take it the wrong way
Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Baby... my sister and I fight like the fucking Kinks. I love the shit out of her. I would take a bullet for her. I've definitely taken a beating or two for her. But sometimes she can't shut her fucking face. And things get INTENSE, and really, really cruel when she is very angry - I'm incapable of hurting her the way she's hurt me in the past. It's probably the only thing I WON'T talk about on these forums - things she said to me five years ago still keep me up at night. I love her though.

You need to put this relationship on ice for a bit. Take a few weeks completely off from her. Also, what about maybe bringing in a mediator when it's time to talk? If it's really that intense, it may not be the weirdest idea... people don't always get crazy when there's a stranger in the room, but it helps ya get your beans out.

Keep me posted.
^^^^^^ Your posts are awesome, I think I  you.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
She's a sister in law? How the fuck does she know about your bro's upbringing? This actually sounds like your brother's a little whiny pussy ass bitch who keeps lamenting about his past to his wife, so one drunken night she finally couldn't handle the secrets and broke down.

Seems like brother's the root of this one.
What he said
Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Murder suicide.

Everyone wins.