Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here is a quick tip for Vista users

They changed some default security setting in Vista that makes it not play nice with Samba servers (Windows file sharing on a Mac or Linux.) Here is a link with the fix:

Get Vista and Samba to work - Blogs - Code Monkey Business - Builder AU

This was a particular source of frustration for me, as I use my Mac as a file server.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

When did that change happen? I use Samba on my laptop's Linux install and I had been trying to figure out why file sharing suddenly stopped working. This was a couple months ago.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokkratez View Post
When did that change happen? I use Samba on my laptop's Linux install and I had been trying to figure out why file sharing suddenly stopped working. This was a couple months ago.
I'm pretty sure that has been the default setting since Vista came out
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ah. Weird that it worked for me at one point. Still haven't tried this security fix.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

mac guy on vista

I'm a mac guy and just picked up a new laptop for my tax prep business. It runs Vista.

I only know XP, and like I said I use a MAC (and they just work, i don't know how.). Anyway here is my problem, how do I get rid of all the extra crap they load on these windows machines. I really only need the office software and my tax prep software plus other essentials.

Appreciate the help.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goodI View Post
I'm a mac guy and just picked up a new laptop for my tax prep business. It runs Vista.

I only know XP, and like I said I use a MAC (and they just work, i don't know how.). Anyway here is my problem, how do I get rid of all the extra crap they load on these windows machines. I really only need the office software and my tax prep software plus other essentials.

Appreciate the help.
Start>control panel>add/remove programs (from the classic menu accessed in the left hand panel)

You will see a list of installed programs and can remove them from the list with the obvious button
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

I use to be able to just type KATG in the url box and it would just go to KATG.COM. Now, my ISP is redirecting to a Charter/Yahoo web search.

How do I get it so when I type KATG into the URL box it will go to KATG.COM. Yes, I am fucking lazy. I am trying to setup opendns.com right now. But, If memory serves, the last time I tried it I still had to type the .com in.

Thx, this has been pissing me off for like 3 months now.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger77 View Post
I use to be able to just type KATG in the url box and it would just go to KATG.COM. Now, my ISP is redirecting to a Charter/Yahoo web search.

How do I get it so when I type KATG into the URL box it will go to KATG.COM. Yes, I am fucking lazy. I am trying to setup opendns.com right now. But, If memory serves, the last time I tried it I still had to type the .com in.

Did you clear your bookmarks? In FireFox and Opera your bookmarks are checked as you type. In Opera, you can even edit the properties of a bookmark and assign a custom keyword to it. I think this works in FireFox too, but I know it works in Opera. So, you may have had a KATG bookmark 3 months ago and then deleted it.

That's if you're using FF or Opera, anyway. If you're using IE... stop it!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goodI View Post

Appreciate the help.
Also, you can look at this link Removing Bloatware

The bloatware helps the manufactures keep the costs down, as the studios pay money to put these programs on your computers. It sucks, but some of the resellers (Dell, Gateway, Compaq etc) put this on there.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger77 View Post

In IE you can change the default search engine under tools>options. I have google set as default in both ie and firefox. I didn't see a default for searching from the address bar in firefox, but my google toolbar made it google for me. Firefox goes straight to katg.com and ie brings up search results, when google is set as the default search.

If you hold down control and hit enter in the address bar both firefox and ie will add the http://.com for you (shift+enter for .net).

In firefox, when you type into the address bar it searches for the text in your bookmarks and lets you click on them. Switching from what you are used to is frustrating for a day or two but I highly recommend firefox if you're not already using it. The add ons for customizing the browser are amazing.