Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
cool, at the next KATG poker event, you can not be there on a Mac! and in the vein of your example, ive seen a presentation at a convention that used a PC laptop, and it didnt crash. so i guess because if theres one example of it working, we can exclude all examples of it not. /hi5
Yeah, but I like you guys, I wouldn't want to take all your money...

I guess I should have added that I've seen some pretty fucking disastrous presentations using Macs as well.

Back in the day the Mac would show you a little pic of a bomb, just to reinforce the fact that all the work you've just done is fucked. But that was then - I haven't had a crash in the last 5 years. Stability is so boring.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
cool, at the next KATG poker event, you can not be there on a Mac! and in the vein of your example, ive seen a presentation at a convention that used a PC laptop, and it didnt crash. so i guess because if theres one example of it working, we can exclude all examples of it not. /hi5
If you have a new IntelMac you can play poker. You can have dual boots to run both Windows (XP or Vista) and MacOS. It's a good deal.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

and it's unstable, you get the best of both worlds
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB
Anybody who says a fresh Windows XP was more stable and secure than a fully patched Windows 98 SE machine is crazy
Call me loony-fucking-tunes then.

I bought an XP machine 18 months ago and have never had the system crash once. It simply works. When I ran 98 all I did was tinker with my computer trying to un-fuck it up. 98 was a joke and MS didn't deserve to be on top in the 90s. XP is stable, everyone knows how to use it, and it runs just about every piece of decent software ever written (for non-geek-people). It is a good product.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech
Call me loony-fucking-tunes then.

I bought an XP machine 18 months ago and have never had the system crash once. It simply works. When I ran 98 all I did was tinker with my computer trying to un-fuck it up. 98 was a joke and MS didn't deserve to be on top in the 90s. XP is stable, everyone knows how to use it, and it runs just about every piece of decent software ever written (for non-geek-people). It is a good product.
Are you behind a router? Put a fresh XP machine and a patched 98 SE machine next to each other both on open connections, and let's see which one dies first, hehe. But I completely agree with you otherwise, XP is a great product. I was simply making the point that new software is insecure software, and Vista is going to be a shitfest for a few months.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB
new software is insecure software, and Vista is going to be a shitfest for a few months.
point taken. You're probably right. I only have a laptop right now. I have been considering an XP media center edition desktop purchase. Holding off waiting for the new OS. Would I be better off getting a current XP machine than a Vista machine in 6-8 months from now? It's a serious question. Will the new features be outweighed by the proven performance of XP? Should I wait til fall 2007 to get a vist so the bugs are out? Isn't vista based on whats right about XP, with improvements or do they start from scratch?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Heey..I'm Vista.

I have to say that I got this nick because a friend calls me that, since we met at Bar Vista. Anywhooo..

Won't go OT again..
Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This video is almost as good as the classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXWr6Ezax4
Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Haha, I love how the camera shot switched right when the computer crashed.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

That file was OK, but it linked to this file:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7di8YAzSIo&NR

Awesome - remember this was 22 and a half years ago, before a lot of you were born. Non-Mac people will never understand the relationship we have with the brand. I swear I was almost jerking off to this. Aldus Freehand! Photoshop 1.0! and I think the presentation was put together using Hypercard, one of the best early programs, although it was an absolute bitch to use as I recall. (Feel free to contradict me Mac geeks).

Time for a cold shower I think...