Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Do you, personally, know anyone who died that day, or was rescued that day? If not, then it really didn't affect you to the extent that the "Never Forget" people make you believe. Sure, the whole nation mourned the first week. It's a tragedy at a nationally recognized scale. Even someone as unemotional as I was caught up in the media coverage (well, the first day at least). I respected the NFL decision to postpone the first week, since it was supposed to be the following Sunday. New York is their biggest market, and with two teams mere miles away from the incident, they did what they thought best.

After that incident, the cries of patriotism sang from the corners of the country. Flags hung from every door (except mine, I don't have one). Everybody knew the words to "God Bless America" (except me, I still don't. I know the National Anthem, and that's good enough for me), and sang it every chance they got (to the point that almost no Major League stadium sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" anymore). Anti-terrorist this, and America that.

Between the CONSTANT 9/11 coverage and "American Idol", I gave up watching TV (and when the War on Terror became the War on Iraq, I gave up on news altogether). I was bored of it. How could you not, unless you're directly affected by it. If you're a brother of one who died, I can understand it, but if you're a guy in the Midwest whose closest friend/relative is over 100 miles away from the incident at the time, there's more important things. Like my own life. I have a son to raise, school to attend, and work to do. Not to mention a very needy wife. I don't have time for this shit. Her mother, however, hung on to every word, every phrase, and called me unAmerican when I said, "I don't really care anymore. It's not like I was affected".

Years go by. We still get weekly 9/11 stories in the paper, which lasts to this day. People are making television specials and movies. Public Service Announcements (during children's TV!) ask "What would you do in the case of a terrorist attack?". KIDS TV for CHRIST SAKE! I don't want my 5 year old son watching Pokmon asking "What's a terrorist attack, daddy?" Just say emergency, it's the fucking same whether it's a terrorist attack, tornado, hurricane, or a fucking automobile accident!

I haven't seen Flight 93. Don't ever care to. I won't even stop if it's the only thing on TV. I just don't care. I heard the story the first week, and that's good enough for me. Won't let my wife watch it. She gets jittery like her mom about these things. WTC movie? Yeah, people will go. I'm sure my mother-in-law will go, but will I EVER see it? No. Not because I refuse, but because I just don't care.

And why should I? It was 6 years ago. Nobody I knew was within a hundred miles of any of the three affected areas. I won't forget, but I don't need a clich "Never Forget". I watched the events live on TV. You can't get that out of your head, but it doesn't mean you have to try.

Unless you have a friend or relative who was personally involved, or you were one of the millions of New Yorkers who had to walk miles to evacuate the area, then you should have gotten over it.

Sure, it's a sad story, but sad stories happen every day. Why should you dwell on one that happened 6 years ago? Sure, it's America and you have the right to dwell on whatever the fuck you want, but many of the people I know (And I still have never met ONE person who has either been in that incident, or had a close friend/relative in that incident) just need to GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

Thank you Cubby and mali. You both have it exactly right.

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane

Last edited by benjita; 07-28-2006 at 11:55 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
That's probably the best and least exploitative piece of art I've ever seen regarding the world trade center. Kudos to you, Village Voice.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexarch
That's a pretty harsh opinion. That's like denying someone their grief. I spent the week after that under a dark cloud. I watched the news every free moment. On the one-year anniversary, again I was in a blue funk. I watched those people who formed spontaneous mourning circles and felt for them. Those trajedies hit me very hard. To say that I don't have a right to feel and have an opinion on the trajedies because I was in Dallas is pretty fucked.
You don't have a right because you can't spell "tragedies".
And yes I know my opinion is fucked, I never said that it was right. I experienced it, I saw shit in front of me, i walked home across bridges, and I was out of work for a week, because my work was too close to the towers. I wandered the memorial signs and candles that were set up in Union Sq, and I saw the hundreds of missing person posters that displayed people's false hopes all over the city. My experience was different than yours, and that's still how I feel. /spooky shrug
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

ok very odd.. i saw someone elses response here.. replied to a phantom post twice today.. i'm crazy