Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: When Keith asked, ‘Do you get it?,’ did you get it?
Yes 28 51.85%
No 26 48.15%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2361: Alligator Tears

with Andrew Collin and Ari Teman – Anxiety, choking to death, whiskey dick, and your parents’ divorce; Tel Aviv vs. NYC; woman locked in library bathroom for 36 hours; Andrew’s drinkin’ days; Troy Smith arrested for DUI; a Navy Seal stabbed Andrew; Andrew fights with Sum 41 on ecstasy; Ari defends his anti-Airbnb project Sublet Spy; Ari tells Obama a joke

Guests:
Andrew Collin

Ari Teman

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Last edited by dannyhatch; 04-10-2016 at 02:10 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I think Ari was working too hard to make what he does seem just. Ari is a narc because there is a lot of money to be made being a narc and if he can screw over a company that screwed him while he does it, that's just gravy.

I think Keith and Chemda's argument; Landlords generally suck so fuck their ability to legally make more money... is kind of weak. Is Ari a hypocrite? Yep. Is what Ari doing potentially screwing over people that are just trying to make a few extra bucks? Totally. Is what Ari doing a viable, legal and apparently profitable business model? For sure. I'm not angry at him or the people that host airbnb to supplement their income.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I think Keith and Chemda's argument; Landlords generally suck so fuck their ability to legally make more money... is kind of weak.
Wasn't Ari saying that they make more money when they rent out days at a time?

WHO'S WEAK NOW!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

if one of our tenants were posting /our/ property without our knowledge, using it as a business venture, and profiting i'd be fucking pissed. i'd kick you out. i don't fucking care about sob stories about extra bucks, person who signed an agreement and who i'm trusting with /our/ investment. that is not your property. i'd hire ari in a heartbeat. if i could find a way to sue you, i would do that too. if the water heater broke i bet it would be a different damn sob story and i bet you wouldn't' use your dumb side money to fix it either. guarantee i'd get a fucking phone call and you up my ass.
thirteen and invader like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

I still stand that Ari is furious with Airbnb and decided to capitalize on it. He's not a hero to tenants around the world. He wants to make a buck and that's that.
I don't have a problem with that. Landlords should know what's happening with their building. But as a tenant, don't act like you're doing it for me.
There's a system that's in place and everyone is trying to get a piece. His piece didn't work from the tenant side so he's switching teams.

If that's not right then he needs a rep to sell his pitch because I can't follow his double speak any closer than I did.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

you're spot on about this guy for sure. would i use his services b/c tenants are often tremendously awful? yeah. rats do good rats work.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Posted without comment:

Ari Teman

Russ Hanneman, HBO's Silicon Valley
Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't think he did a very good job arguing his points. I went into this show already thinking that the sharing economy is going to be the death of us all. I didn't learn anything from this show.

Maybe he was spending too much time trying to get everyone to like him? He should've just owned up to what he was doing and not defended himself so much. He did his research after the fact and found out how damaging airbnb was to the economy, and, bonus, he can make a few bucks selling his service to landlords.

I see the appeal of airbnb. But it's causing rent to go up, it's lowering the supply of apartments, it's taking business away from hotels, the illegal hotels aren't paying proper hotel taxes, and it's dangerous. It turns out that staying in a strangers house isn't safe. People have died because of gas leaks or unsecured structures. Airbnb places aren't vetted and maintained the way hotels are.

I know that there are people who rely on airbnb to pay their rent, but airbnb is one of the reasons that the rent is so unaffordable!

I went to school in Manhattan KS and did not see my fair share of titties.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I haven't had a lease in almost four years. I can work from anywhere and generally I watch people's pets when they take longer trips, but when I don't have that option, I use Airbnb. I'm typing this from one right now. So I don't want it to go away, I don't want it to change. I don't think I've ever rented from a Russian gang, but I guess I wouldn't know.

And yet I still get why Ari would do this. Even without the problem he had with Airbnb to cloud his judgement. He has the appropriate abilities and connections to start a business like this, doesn't really matter how he found out about the need for it. Why wouldn't he do it?

Last edited by starscream; 04-08-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Of course Ari getting screwed by AirBnB is his inspiration to do this, that doesn't make it any less important or make any sense as an argument against him. People care about causes that they are directly affected by.

For example: someone who survives breast cancer who goes on to run charity marathons and start fundraisers for specifically breast cancer. Why don't they go raise money for general cancer awareness, or something like women's health? They were most affected by that specific type of cancer so of course that is their focus. How is that a negative point against that person? They are still helping the cause that is important to them.

I think AirBnB does need some kind of regulation. It's basically a self-regulated black market right now and people on both sides have been screwed over. The example he gave about the 2 bedroom apartment in Bushwick that a family could move into, but instead is being rented out as a hotel is the perfect example of why this sucks for New Yorkers. That kind of shit should not be happening. There are already plenty of hotels in every borough for people who need temporary places to stay. There ARE families, elderly people and single parents with 1 income in NYC who need apartments that are not an arm and a leg. Not everyone is a single, young artist with no belongings and 5 roomates to split the rent with.
Sparrow and Enunciated Piffle like this.