Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who do you find yourself agreeing with most during this show?
Keith 26 65.00%
Chemda 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree31Likes

Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

2624: FREE WEED

with Kyle Ayers and Andrea Allan – Improper sleep, lying to therapists, and OCD; the marijuana debates; KATG polls

Guests:
Andrea Allan

Kyle Ayers

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Correlation does not equal causation with weed and laziness. The argument that "I've seen people get really into weed and become slow and lazy" as a reason to block wider distribution of marijuana is not logically sound. You would have to adjust for many other variables such as the personality traits of the population that has access to weed when it's illegal compared to the personality traits of the of the the whole population when it would be legalized.

People also fuck up their lives with soda, cheeseburgers and video games leading to morbid obesity and addiction. It's not fair to judge weed by some users being burnouts in a setting where people who are able to go around the law and get large quantities of weed may be more likely to be burnouts generally.

If the NRA can use the saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" then marijuana proponents should be able to say "Weed doesn't make people lazy, laziness makes people lazy"

When people with a public platform harp on their own personal experience with weed users to try an paint a generic, unscientific picture of the effects of weed, then whether or not they feel neutral on the legelization issue, they're still misconstruing the argument in favor of "weed is bad" and adding points to that column.
Bucho and memecherry like this.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
I didn't say stop distributing.
My point is, be responsible and enjoy weed as everything in some moderation.
It's not a miracle substance that will only make you better in every way.
To be honest I hadn't read your comments, I was replying to the episode.

My point was judging the effects of marijuana while not controlling for the population sample that actually has access while it's illegal. I also don't think it's a miracle substance but I find there is a tendency of people to blow up effects of abusing marijuana and paint that as the story of general marijuana use, all the while not considering marijuana on a scale of things that are escapist luxuries of modern society like processed sugar and video games.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm the one vote for gagging bj's. Some people like to be throat fucked. Wasn't really a fan of it till I saw my friend in a glorry hole at a party. She loves to gag.

There is no such thing as the supernatural.The brain is stupid. Optical illusions and logical fallacies are proof of this. I'm going with Occam's razor on this one.

Last edited by Archimedes_Screw; 05-05-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Culprit View Post
To be honest I hadn't read your comments, I was replying to the episode.

My point was judging the effects of marijuana while not controlling for the population sample that actually has access while it's illegal. I also don't think it's a miracle substance but I find there is a tendency of people to blow up effects of abusing marijuana and paint that as the story of general marijuana use, all the while not considering marijuana on a scale of things that are escapist luxuries of modern society like processed sugar and video games.
Agreed but what Chemda is full on embracing/preaching is also not general marijuana use.

I don't quite see how it helps convince people that its a nice and positive, non addictive drug when all you talk about is how you like to smoke all day every day and even feel the need to overstate how much you smoke and how this magical miracle weed is curing all the diseases even cancer, makes you more productive, more insightful and there are no side-effects or changes in behaviour at all because its so super duper.

Chemda you finally found a drug you like and your partner shares that love and you want to tell everybody about it and that is awesome. But your pendulum swang all the way from no drugs ever to high as much of the time as I can manage. I'm gonna guess it might swing back to the middle at some point.
Apia likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I just wanted to clarify that I see a distinction between laziness and sleepiness; apologies if it it seemed like I was calling anybody lazy.

I definitely don't see Chemda as lazy, and she doesn't sound like she's sleepy all the time.
I also definitely don't see Hennessy as lazy, but it does sound like he's sleepy a lot of the time.

So I don't think marijuana absolutely makes anyone lazy or sleepy, but I think it can contribute to either or both, and I have to imagine different people react differently.
Skyler and Apia like this.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Archimedes_Screw likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I used to watch that show! A child robot slave right?
The Girl likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
I think it can contribute to either or both, and I have to imagine different people react differently.
Of course.

I'm looking forward to when it's finally regulated here in Canada. I'm hoping that the effects of marijuana on the population will be a little more consistent across the board when there are more policies regarding what should and shouldn't be in it.

Right now, different types of weed make me feel so many different kinds of ways. A lot of it doesn't work, but when it does it's never a pleasant experience. At some point I start to feel very "drunk" (I'm glad Andrea discussed this on a show recently), start seeing a lot of weird shit, and then need to go to sleep. Whereas it affects friends differently. Some of them are a "good" amount of high, but are not able to sleep right away.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw View Post
A child robot slave right?
yeah! servitude at its cutest!

Archimedes_Screw likes this.