Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should you need to pass a test to own a gun?
Yes 42 95.45%
No 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael's Servant
  • 5 Post By Binkers
  • 3 Post By thirteen

Old 10-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2731: Kids These Days

with Matt Bachus – Matt didn’t know his roommate’s name and the roommate killed himself; Matt took acid at age 16; mass shooting and a DMV for guns; 26-year-old woman shoots homeless man over her loud car stereo music; high school bullying and depression; male vs. female statutory rape

Guest:
Matt Bachus

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
Archimedes_Screw likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chemda and guns...and hicks and goobers

Chemda's opinon on gun ownership makes so much sense to me it's ridiculous that this isn't how it's done, and yeah, it's pretty terrifying when you realize how many whackadoos are running around with guns.

When I did a gun safety course in my small hometown the teachers were literally throwing out comments like 'If one more bullet escapes this building, the city says we're shut down' and 'People have been shooting the roof and it has GOT to STOP' and 'If you see someone violating the rules, don't go up and yell at them, we have a lot of vets with PTSD who come in here!' ...I felt less safe after taking the course than I did before. Maybe I'll try re-taking the safety course in a non hick town next time.

Also Chemda is right, the country is a helluva lot scarier than the city. Hicks and goobers are terrifying creatures.
Keith, The Girl, Blitzgal and 2 others like this.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Took a gun safety course up here in Canada and it was very strict. Gun ownership is a nuisance here if you follow the rules, and that's the way it should be. You're required to pass tests and register guns and inform authorities every time you move the gun from your house to another location, etc.

Half the people didn't pass the course because they pointed the (empty) gun willy-nilly around the room during a short test instead of following the rules of only pointing it at a very specific wall in the room.
Keith, Blitzgal and amnesiac like this.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gun ownership is a tricky thing so I hope I can shed some light on a few of the more contentious points. Most legislation does not make it any more difficult to purchase a weapon. The general consensus among owners is the greates power and responsibility lies within your brain. But since most people are stupid ....
  1. Yes it is very easy to legally purchase a firearm. Much easier than illegally purchasing a firearm
  2. It’s perfectly legal to go to a web forum find the gun you want to buy meet a guy in the Wal-Mart parking lot and purchase a firearm
  3. Most gun show purchases require a background check unless you buy from a private collector (a guy walking around)
  4. Gun laws exist on the federal state county and city levels which adds to the confusion and cracks in the system
  5. There are not many federal laws as long as you don’t have any felonies or recently Domestic abuse charges you can get anything you want
  6. Don’t check the box that says you’re crazy or put your birthday in the wrong box and you will be denied. That’s about it.
  7. Automatic weapons and silencers are illegal unless you pay the $200 fee and wait about 3 - 6 Months

If people REALLY want to make a difference and change gun laws and save lives you must be more familiar with the current system in place. I got rid of my guns for multiple reasons. Strangely enough one of those is the world is becoming too violent. I don’t want to add to that.

.. I DRIVE FAST

Last edited by 1goodI; 10-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you want common sense gun laws like licensing and insurance, you have to change the constitution. It's not all that hard, you just need 2/3rds of the Senate and House to vote to draft a proposed amendment, and 3/4 of the state legislatures to ratify it. This has happened as recently as 1992.

Until then, the reason that guns are not regulated like cars is because of the 2nd amendment. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Overwhelming majorities of both Democrat and Republican voters support stricter gun laws. I propose something like "Firearm ownership is subject to necessary regulation to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the people. This amendment repeals the 2nd amendment."

Last edited by flerchin; 10-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.